Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Thailand teaching salaries actually falling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_brava

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Are Thailand teaching salaries actually falling? Reply with quote

I have returned to Thailand after a five years away from Thailand-based teaching, and have been surprised to see that, not only have the salaries still not increased, but some of the offered full-time salaries have actually fallen.

In no time during my on-and-off ten years here do I remember full-time, Bangkok-based, NES positions being advertised below 30,000, but I have seen several as low as 20,000 throughout this latest employment search.

Teaching in Bangkok seems to be undergoing the "triple whammy" of lower/stagnant salaries, higher costs and large-scale gentrification that is making it more and more like other (far higher paying) cities across Asia.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Are Thailand teaching salaries actually falling? Reply with quote

jim_brava wrote:
I have returned to Thailand after a five years away from Thailand-based teaching, and have been surprised to see that, not only have the salaries still not increased, but some of the offered full-time salaries have actually fallen.

In no time during my on-and-off ten years here do I remember full-time, Bangkok-based, NES positions being advertised below 30,000, but I have seen several as low as 20,000 throughout this latest employment search.

Teaching in Bangkok seems to be undergoing the "triple whammy" of lower/stagnant salaries, higher costs and large-scale gentrification that is making it more and more like other (far higher paying) cities across Asia.

I think that you will find that those 20k jobs are aimed at NNES teachers, often Filipinos or illegal teachers (westerners who don't have a degree and/or have the wrong passport).

If you have a degree, some experience, a western (NES) passport and a pulse then 35-40k is pretty much the entry level.

Note that South Africa may be considered to be NES in some countries (like Korea) but LEGALLY, not in Thailand. They need to get a TOEIC test done.

AbeCross

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Falling or stagnant Reply with quote

Bangkok is the only place I know much about, and the salaries here have not gone up in well over 15 years. The cost of living has gone up a great deal, however. Thai university salaries are a joke.
Language institute salaries are low, too; some, such as AUA, are losing money every year. AUA is trying to make money with online teaching and corporate work, but its management in those spheres is suspect and success has been elusive.
The only area where salaries are okay is in international schools. Competition is intense for all posts as Thailand is a popular place for expats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: