Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA in US or Poland?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.K.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: CELTA in US or Poland? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm completely new to the world of TEFL, but I'm planning on getting certified (CELTA) this summer and then I'd like to teach in Poland. So can anyone tell me if it's better to do the CELTA course in Poland, or should I stay in the US to get certified so I can be here to apply for the work permit? I've heard good things about the IH CELTA courses there, but I don't have loads of cash for flying back and forth to the US for paperwork. What do you veterans recommend?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give a novice! Very Happy
XXX

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things probably have changed since last I dealt with immigration in Poland. You USED to be able to travell there on a tourist visa THEN apply for your working visa. To be on the safe side call the Embassy.
Poland is a great choice for a place to teach. You won't make money, but you will most likely live like a god. The beer is EXCELLENT, as is the food. Enjoy!
Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I would suggest that you get the CELTA in the US, simply because you must go home to get your initial work visa. You used to be able to go across the border to any Polish consulate to get your work visa. Unfortunately, that changed back at the end of 1997, a few months after I came here.

BUT, here's another option. I know International House is offering the CELTA in Krakow and Wroclaw for just over $1000 plus housing. (I've been looking into doing my CELTA cert finally, so that's why I know this info) Yes, you would have to fly back and forth to the US, but it might still come out to be the same cost. I heard that CELTA's are quite expensive in the US.

Anyway, good luck!

Chris(tine)
Sosnowiec/Milwaukee
M.K.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I've now decided to do the CELTA in Costa Rica, since I'd ideally like to teach there. FYI, it's offered at a reasonable cost there too ($1500). Well, it's reasonable as opposed to the $2000 course I was considering taking here in the US. Anyway, wish me luck - hope it's all worth it in the end!
Melissa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: