Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full time IELTS examiner?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Yorks Lad



Joined: 16 Aug 2009
Posts: 93
Location: England

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Full time IELTS examiner? Reply with quote

I see the BC are advertising for full-time IELTS examiners in China. I am a certified examiner and China appeals but I think examining 20 candidates a day and marking forever would soon send you crazy. Is there anyone on here who does this sort of work? What is it like in practice?

Thanks,

YL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elicit



Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 243

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you describe basically. Plus, add in the extensive traveling which becomes very old, very quick here. And also that the number 5 in China is associated with both good luck and bad luck depending on context (unlucky in yours).

Doable for a year or two’s whistle stop tour of China, but longer term probably not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yorks Lad



Joined: 16 Aug 2009
Posts: 93
Location: England

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Elicit.

If I did it, I'd only do it for a year or two. The BC claims you can earn up to 612,000 RMB a year (i.e. 50,000 a month) which seems astonishing if it's true (and realistic).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theoriginalprankster



Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 895

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be examining four days a week plus marking scripts to be earning anywhere near 50k.

You're an examiner so you know how dull and repetitive the job is, plus the fact that Chinese students try to game the test by rote learning answers. Typical score: 5. Really boring!

I did it part time for three years. Never again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elicit



Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 243

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorks Lad wrote:
The BC claims you can earn up to 612,000 RMB a year (i.e. 50,000 a month) which seems astonishing if it's true (and realistic).


As you seem pretty interested a couple of additional points.

Whilst I was doing it, the biggest earners that got close to your figure were in Beijing. Beijing covers an extremely large geographical area, so that’s where the most examining work was. Obviously, even more traveling would be involved. If no dependents and in Beijing, a flat share would be best because you would not be at home enough to enjoy a place of your own.

Depending on your previous experience, check out the current Team Leader vacancies on the BC Job Portal. More money to be made in this role, as you do less core days to get the basic salary meaning more or all of the examining work is top-up.

Best of luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Volver



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 181

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on this forum and you will find many posters have the answer to your question.

I did it part-time and would never do it again. However, the experience it gave me has allowed to make a LOT of money teaching potential candidates how to pass the test. Do it a year, GTF out while you still have a brain, do side work and privates, and make easy money.

The job itself is quite easy and few brain cells are required.

V
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yorks Lad



Joined: 16 Aug 2009
Posts: 93
Location: England

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was specifically asking about full time work as I've done it part time and have quite enjoyed it but wasn't sure what it would be like full-time. I've watched some videos the BC has posted on its recruitment website and if they're trying to sell it they haven't done a good job. The examiners mumble about how the work is flexible but that seems to be the best thing they can say about it.

Thanks for the tip about flat sharing, Elicit. Hadn't thought of that but seems a very valid point.

The main concern I'd have really is that I think it would be almost impossible to get to know people as you'd just pick up your exam pack each morning, go to a room and work and then leave at the end of the day (possibly going back to a hotel room in another new city). I think I'd struggle to do that long term.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theoriginalprankster



Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 895

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The main concern I'd have really is that I think it would be almost impossible to get to know people as you'd just pick up your exam pack each morning, go to a room and work and then leave at the end of the day (possibly going back to a hotel room in another new city). I think I'd struggle to do that long term.


To be honest the caliber and quality of a lot of examiners is sub-par. Many narcissists. Many bums. 1 out of 10 is decent. You're better off making friends in the cities you visit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elicit



Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 243

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be a lonely experience if no effort was made to socialize. Speaking interviews and heads down Writing marking are in part contributors to this most definitely.

However, you would be traveling with other examiners so can link up for train or plane journeys. Writing marking is also done in large rooms so a stop to chat and catch up is often a good way to break up the days work. There was also quite a lot of meets arranged in the evenings, so choosing a place to reside where most examiners have chosen to settle would probably be a good idea.

I believe most examiners are there for the money and it sometimes showed. The less available examiners the more work to go around. I would place the narcissistic bum ratio at more like 1 in 10 where I was based. However, I was the 1 and the other 9 were OK 🤪
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tudor



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 339

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
it would be a lonely experience if no effort was made to socialize. Speaking interviews and heads down Writing marking are in part contributors to this most definitely.

However, you would be traveling with other examiners so can link up for train or plane journeys. Writing marking is also done in large rooms so a stop to chat and catch up is often a good way to break up the days work. There was also quite a lot of meets arranged in the evenings, so choosing a place to reside where most examiners have chosen to settle would probably be a good idea.

I believe most examiners are there for the money and it sometimes showed. The less available examiners the more work to go around. I would place the narcissistic bum ratio at more like 1 in 10 where I was based. However, I was the 1 and the other 9 were OK 🤪


I thought all the script marking was now done by freelancers in the UK and Canada on computers (on-screen marking)? If so, surely this reduces income potential.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elicit



Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 243

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Australia too. As I was leaving this is the way things were going. However, the piece rate was significantly reduced for the on-screen marking in these countries, so I am guessing retention and recruitment of raters probably suffered.

As far as I am aware, Writing marking is alive and well here. It was also said that there would be no more part-time examining in China, but I do and Writing marking is still part of the work. Therefore, perhaps supply and demand dictates test administration policy here. With the significant numbers (test takers and money) involved it is at least plausible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKM



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?

From what I can gather, China seems to be one of the few (maybe only) countries where the BC still offers full examiner training (i.e. speaking and writing) - everywhere else only offers speaking training/jobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elicit



Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 243

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still making bank say those I’ve spoken to.

Pay review due next year and a reduction in the piece rate for Writing may be on the cards. After all, why pay more here than in Australia, UK etc. Be surprised at any other outcome. If interested then check the contract to make sure the remuneration is locked in for the full term of the employment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKM



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
Still making bank say those I’ve spoken to.

Pay review due next year and a reduction in the piece rate for Writing may be on the cards. After all, why pay more here than in Australia, UK etc. Be surprised at any other outcome. If interested then check the contract to make sure the remuneration is locked in for the full term of the employment.


Thanks for the info.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China