Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need info for Australian work visas...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NomadUSA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Need info for Australian work visas... Reply with quote

Hopefully, I will be leaving this upcoming summer for a year of work in Australia. I know this site is for ESL teaching stuff--and I probably won't be teaching--but I still need some important assistance. I have been to a ton of visa information sites and looked over a ton of visa options, and I can't figure out which one I should be applying for. I am a 24-year old American, who will hopefully be working somewhere in the economics/financial sector for a duration of around 1 year (but probably not longer).

Ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Need info for Australian work visas... Reply with quote

NomadUSA wrote:

I am a 24-year old American, who will hopefully be working somewhere in the economics/financial sector for a duration of around 1 year (but probably not longer).

Ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

You're probably fresh out of luck: Australia isn't exactly short on people with economics/financial qualifications.

Unless you can demonstrate an unuausl set of skills that Australia needs you won't qualify for a work visa. If you have an employer there to sponsor you then the requirements are slightly lower, but you're still unlikely to qualify with anything less than an exceptional Master's degree and lots of experience.

The only real hope you have is to be employed by a US company and have them send you there for a year.
NomadUSA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Need info for Australian work visas... Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!!!

The chances of getting hired by an American company are not even worth talking about. But, I have been in contact with some family friends that are from Australia (and living in the Victoria area), and they're like... "we'll do what we can to locate something for you, but you need to get your own visa." Herein lies my problem, and the need for direction from you nice people.

HELP!!!
roaming kiwi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you spoken with the nice people at the Australian embassy nearest you?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: queries Reply with quote

While you are it there is another question.

My friend is a one-legged, disabled, Mongolian taxidermist of Islamist convictions. How does he apply for political ayslum in New Zealand ?

Come on ! This is Dave's ESL Cafe ! It is not Dave's Visa Service !
Let's stick to ESL-related stuff. If you have visa questions go elsewhere !
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unsure as to whether you have already made contact with them but the Department of Immigration & Multicultural & Indigenous Affairs has an informative website - http://www.immi.gov.au/ - with information about visas and working in Australia.
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added that the bottom has fallen out of much of the ESL market in Australia as a result of reduced government funding for ESL in secondary schools. As a result marauding bands of highly qualified but unemployed ESL teachers wander the streets forlornly. It is also useful to remember that Australia is full of people who speak English so the competition for jobs is a lot more intense than in countries where EFL is taught. In countries where EFL is taught, i.e. where English is not the default language, many of the students are business people or are being paid for by businesses and so there's more money about for EFL teachers than in a place like Australia where most ESL students are poorer migrants whose lessons are not being paid for by businesses.
aikon8310

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: queries Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
While you are it there is another question.

My friend is a one-legged, disabled, Mongolian taxidermist of Islamist convictions. How does he apply for political ayslum in New Zealand ?

Come on ! This is Dave's ESL Cafe ! It is not Dave's Visa Service !
Let's stick to ESL-related stuff. If you have visa questions go elsewhere !

Chill out mate, he's only asking a question.
Not all of your posts are ESL related, drop the attitude.

My advice is to contact your nearest Australian Consulate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: