Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in the Faeroes.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnix

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Teaching in the Faeroes....... Reply with quote

I know it is very remote( Rolling Eyes !)....but is there even the slightest chance of teaching in the Faeroe Islands? Laughing
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Teaching in the Faeroes Reply with quote

The short answer to your question is "No". The Faeroes are a self-governing part of Denmark, and English is spoken there. Sorry!
bnix

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: It Was a Joke,Graham Reply with quote

I did not really expect to get any references to the Faeroes.I do know it is a self-governing part of Denmark.When you say English is spoken there,do you mean in addition to Danish or as the major language?
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Faeroes Reply with quote

In addition. Subtle humour is lost on me on Monday mornings. The old cerebrum needs a few hours to get up to speed!
All the best.
travellingscot

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Just a thought Reply with quote

To what extent do members of the teaching profession let their conscience dictate where they work?
This is not intended as a personal attack on the poster or anyone else, but to me the Faeroes represents "Whaling" and the question of morals, ethics etc comes to mind,so other readers thoughts are of interest.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Whaling in the Faeroes Reply with quote

To the Faeroese, "whaling" means a significant part of their economy. If whaling's immoral, what does that say about the meat and livestock industry in other countries? What about capital punishment?
We could argue about these and other matters until the cows come home (or come out of the oven). Wherever you go you'll find things that you disagree with. In the end you square your conscience with your need to earn a living.
For the record, I'm vegetarian.
What do the rest of you have to say?
bnix

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Whaling,Etc. Reply with quote

First,to Graham B. Thanks for the info that English is spoken in addition to Danish in the Faeroes.Interesting to know.As to the whaling issue(I am not saying whaling is right or wrong0,,,Japan is also a majot whaling country...and a significant amount of people (TESOL) teach there.....
bnix

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Yes."Major"...not "Majot" Reply with quote

A typo.I haven't had my morning coffee yet...
Sigma

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent three weeks on the Faroe Islands in 1999, and I can say that most people there are able to speak English. Jobs in the Faroe Islands are difficult to find, let alone teaching jobs (ESL).

The Faroe Islands are gorgeous... if you ever get a chance to visit.

Here are some pictures that I took during my trip in 1999...

http://faroesefootball.tripod.com/sce.html
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: boycott ! Reply with quote

Don't go to the Faeroes to teach becasue they are collectively guilty of the monstrous crime of catching whales ?

To travelingscott : maybe you should reconsider going to Bulgaria. Have you examined the position of the Gypsy minority there ?

Every country has something unsavoury about it. Will you boycott everywhere ?
travellingscot

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Who mentioned boycott? Reply with quote

I am surprised that someone who is sometimes among the first to criticise others for their postings has jumped on me in this way.
I realise that my post could be taken as criticism which is why i clearly stated it was not meant as an attack on anyone.All i was trying to do was open up a debate amongst others on how far they let certain matters affect their choice of location.Perhaps i should have started a new thread, and if this debate generates any enthusiasm then i probably will.
One of my reasons for leaving UK is a dislike of political correctness and the trend towards a multi-cultural society(This reason is given by many who wish to leave nowadays).I don't particularly like some aspects of Bulgarian culture and society,but i think it is a question of compromise.I am happy to live with the things i don't like, and overjoyed to experience the things i do like.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: abrupt Reply with quote

My rather abrupt reply was aimed at pointing out the idiocy behind the whole idea of boycott. Life anywhere is about compromise. That includes life in exotic locations as an EFL teacher.

I wish you well in Bulgaria but wonder about the wisdom of your choice.
As for the Faeroe Islands, there is little chance of the original poster getting a job here. Like Denmark, they have enough of their own and they do not need native speakers. If they want to hear "native" English they watch TV like the rest of Scandinavia. The result is that the levels of English there are sometimes higher than in the UK where illiteracy is now a commonplace.
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travellingscott--why would a trend towards a "multicultural society" be a reason to leave the UK?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: