Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Mongolia???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barmadu

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Mongolia??? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm currently trying to find a good, stable teaching position in Mongolia, not necessarily in the capital. It seems that they don't necessarily post job openings with the usual web pages. Would anyone happen to have any links?
Thanks in advance!
MarcusK

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International House has a school in Ulaan Baator. You can find contact info on the International House site. I have no knowledge of the conditions or reputation of the school.
lostinparis

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not much English teaching going on outside the capital, actually.

The best school in UB that I know of to work for (as far as pay and benefits) is the International School of UB. Last I heard, they were offering around $1000 USD/mo + your own apartment, which is very high by Mongolian standards. However, most teachers that work there have teaching credentials, I think, or are teaching more than just English. (Though don't quote me on that).

When I was there in 2002, I was offered a job (different school) at $600/mo + my own apartment (which I turned down at the time to run off to Paris).

How did you choose Mongolia? So few people have any interest in it, that I am curious how your interest developed. Of the many places Ive travelled to, it is probably my favorite place and is very special to me.

If you are really serious about Mongolia, PM me and I will put you in touch with some friends of mine that live there (Mongolians and a crazy Dutchman) that can hook you up with some school contacts. (It's a small city - everyone knows everyone!)

cheers
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool. Cool
blackguy-n-Asia

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm headed to Mongolia to visit in 2005. I haven't been there yet but am fascinated by it and its culture.

My prediction would be that Mongolia will be THE big event in the near future....
silkroad

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: General advice about teaching in Mongolia Reply with quote

Hello
Here is my general teaching advice for Mongolia, I have taught there and didn't find it a brillinat experience at first. There are some really dodgy employers so what ever you negotiate please keep these in mind:

1. To leave your employment and get an exit visa to go home you will need a "release letter" from your employer - I'm sure you can picture the scenario if you've got a dodgy employer! Please get a pre-signed undated release letter before you sign any contracts so if it turns out to be a complete nightmare you can at least leave the country. This also applies to changing jobs, Mongolians are very proud, if you quit they would rather see you deported. Also don't expect anyone to help you out with the residency/work permit formalities - they have to pay to have a foreign worker on their books so a year later you will be stitched up with a massive fine to pay for not registering on time for your residency and your employer may not help. This didn't happen to me but that's because I refused to work until the formalities were done, everything (residency and work permit) has to be done within a month of arriving. There is also an obligation to register with the police within 10 days of arrival.

2. Go there on a tourist visa and test some places out, there's lots of jobs in UB for native teachers. They'll try and give you a bad salary don't take the sob stories from private schools about how poor Mongolia is, find out how much they charge their students and do the maths!

3. I had a really good experience teaching professionals in their offices (normally after work), normally people working for NGOs, Banks or the Government, they're generally enthusiastic smart people with good educations. Do not expect University students or School students to be particularly enthusiastic or hard working, you will be disappointed (not just my observation but also from other teachers there).

Good luck. If you need anymore advice post a reply.
herman

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually interned at International House last summer. This is reputedly the best English institute in the city (and country), and even though I haven't seen or worked at the other schools in Ulaanbaatar, I have to agree that this is an excellent school to work for. Everybody on staff is extremely friendly; they are very ethical and supportive. There are a million things I can say to praise this school and the people who manage as well as work for it, but I think I should probably leave that to those who want to know more.

You're welcome to write me at herman[at]aeiou[dot]pt if you'd like to ask me any questions about this school.

At any rate, Mongolia is a great country to be in and Mongolians are really hospitable.

*Just as a side question: lostinparis and silkroad, where did you work? I don't know about you guys, but I miss UB and Mongolia quite a bit.

Oh--aside from silkroad's warning about the exit visa, the Mongolian government doesn't seem to inform its visitors about changes in entry/exit regulations very well. I was denied exit at the airport because of this new law that I had to register at the immigration department within a week of entry and deregister before leaving. This only applied to visitors who knew they were going to stay for more than a month, however. This regulation just came out then, so the school didn't know about it when I arrived. They paid for all the costs because of the delay; this is just one example of their professionalism and good ethics.

Anyways, good luck searching around and write me at the email above if you have specific questions at the school.

p.s. The school's actual name is English for Special Purposes Foundation. They have a website, though it hasn't been updated for a while and the pictures don't show the current new building and staff.
Lyov

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barmadu,

And anyone else thinking of going to Mongolia. I've only been here for four months now. Right now I am making $300 US per month while working 10 hours a week. Its quite good in Mongolia. I rent my own appartment. No one ever asked anything about my credentials, being a native speaker was good enough. I got my visa through my school where i study Mongolian. That is actually an easy way to get a visa. At some schools tution is about $250 dollars and they give a one year visa. Then you can take or leave jobs at your leisure and no one will own you. If you do decide to take a contract try to only get one for about three to six months max. Inflation rate is very high so the average job contract should be redone every three to six months with around a %5 raise, the bosses know this and would rather give you a one year contract.
I am very happy about not being controlled by my boss because I believe they take this rather seriously and would see all kinds of bad things happen to you than have you leave. If you get your visa elsewhere they have to keep you happy or your gone. And with this deal you can always drop in on a mongolian class if you ever feel bord. Thats my advice.
Feanor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Konnichiwa Reply with quote

So you are taking mongolian at a university, and thats how you got your visa. how many hours does that visa allow you to work a week? In japan on a student visa it only allows you to work 20 hours a week, but then again martial arts are considered "school over there" or so ive read Very Happy

what "credentials" do you need to teach there? I am a canadian native speaker, with some experience with ESL, and am going to take a CELTA course next year.

thanks again

Feanor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: