Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CuriousCanadian Seeks Info on ESL Oppertunities in Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labrecque

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: CuriousCanadian Seeks Info on ESL Oppertunities in Australia Reply with quote

Greetings,

My name is Jessica and I have just recently graduated from Highschool. I have always been interested in teaching ESL and I would love to do so in Australia. I am just wondering any schools in particular that I should contact in order to do this and anywhere I can contact for information. Any input would really be appreciated.

Thank you

Jessica Very Happy
Feanor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: hi jess. Reply with quote

I am also on the same course you are on. I am Canadian and am also seeking ESL work with the kiwis and Ozzies. but i have a few questions.
1 do you need a BA or MA or BS* to work there, or will CELTA get me in?
2 if you dont have a BA or whatever can you get in and teach privately (semi legally)?

sorry jessica i didnt answer your questions, i just joined them
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Feanor,

Re Australia, please refer to the thread entitled, "Info on Australia", on the General Discussion Forum - the last posting was on 18th November.

I noticed that in another posting you expressed some interest in teaching in "Mongolia" - are you referring to Inner or Outer Mongolia ? The former is a province of China, and the latter is an independent country. If you want to experience Mongolian culture you should go to Outer Mongolia, as in the other place, there are many Han Chinese living there, and the place has probably become "sino-ised". However, I'm not sure if Outer Mongolia has a very well developed TESL industry.Thus, it might be best for you to consider a job in the Chinese province of Inner Mongolia (or whatever it's called) - and, possibly, go to Outer Mongolia during your holidays.

It's quite easy to get ESL work in China - if you contact a recruiter, mention that you would like to work in Inner Mongolia.

Good luck.

Peter
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, stop hijacking poor Jessica's thread, it's her first one.

Jessica, I haven't taught in Australia, but I seriously doubt you could teach ESL with only a HS education. You couldn't do this in Canada and you don't need a visa there.
Look into a working holiday visa and then you can travel and do some p/t work while you are there. Who knows, maybe a school will be desperate because a teacher just left and you just might pick up work. However, you really don't have any chance of getting a job from Canada with your qualifications.
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, token Aussie putting in her two cent's worth... Wink

Take a look at a couple of other threads in the Australia forum Jessica. You'll discover that in the southern states its very difficult to get work without quite a number of qualifications. However, if you want to do TEFL at a private language school in Brisbane, you'll need only a TEFL qualification and a bit of experience.

Bear in mind, there's a whole bunch of Australians in Australia teaching TEFL after they've come home from overseas, so schools don't often help with working visas. However, as a citizen of a Commonwealth country you will be able to get a working holiday visa, provided that you are under a certain age. It's either 26 or 32, I keep forgetting, because I'm too old to be eligible.. Wink Contact your nearest Australian High Commission for more info, or take a google to it..

Good luck.
Lozwich.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: