Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching salaries in Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyanello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Teaching salaries in Egypt Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark figure of what I might expect to make as a full-time ESL teacher in Cairo.

The range seems to be pretty wide and I know that in some cases the pay is pretty small, which is fine with me. The last thing I want to do when I apply for a job is price myself right out of consideration. By the same token, I surely don't want to let a school hire me for nothing.

Any help? Thanks, folks. And Happy New Year!

Gary
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

If you have done any reading on this section of the board, you should know that the answer to your question is that not knowing anything about your education or experience, we would have no idea. It could be anything from starvation wages to very good money indeed. I suspect that since you didn't give us any information, that your pay would be at the lowest end of that scale.

Salaries have been discussed in this section quite a few times, you might even find an answer if you tried a search.

VS
garyanello

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, VS...

I had skimmed through these posts and read several posts from you saying the same thing to others and quite a bit from other teachers about "decent" pay or "not a lot" or of the loved-it-but-couldn't-aford-it variety, but few hard numbers. I did see a post in the Journal regarding the pay but it was not very recent and I wanted to know whether things had changed. I was hoping to get something more specific that I could tell schools when they ask my desired salary.

As for my qualifications, suspect no more: Wink I have a BA, a CELTA and some experience, so I doubt it would be at the low-end (I would hope not anyway.).

In any case, the search continues. Be well and again, all the best in 2005 to everyone.

Gary
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

The reality is that it is pretty hard to answer the question. First off, I have never had an employer ask me what I wanted or expected. Once they have seen the CV, they told you what your pay would be. In language schools, you may have some room for negotiation, but I have never job searched at this level. The only decent wages go to those with MAs and experience. Below that you're into bare subsistance wages for the most part. Egypt can be pretty cheap if you live like an Egyptian. But, it is not the place to go to if have bills back home or wish to save some money. It is a place you go for the experience and the fun of being in Egypt.

The other option that is available is private lessons. Once you have become established, you can support yourself quite well.

VS
garyanello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

Thanks for the input. Yeah, it IS unusual for schools to ask about salary, but Sakkara and one or two others in Egypt seem to do it regularly..a little frustrating when you're trying to get there and you can't get any specifics on what's standard (if anything). It makes trying to gauge what to ask for a pain.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and for the info about private lessons. Good luck to you in 2005! Very Happy

Gary
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

I am assuming that you have read the various discussions of Sakkara through the past few years here. They have a suspiciously high turnover. Smile But, their pay is not the lowest. I guess much depends on your personal ability to put up with the circumstances. It may be a job to get you into the country - and for the year of your contract, you can better get information on what places are better. One thing you might attempt to negotiate is to have part of your pay in US dollars... probably not, but worth a try.

BTW, if you are used to teaching children, there are even more possibilities for private lessons.

Good Luck to you too

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: