Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

work in Christchurch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: work in Christchurch Reply with quote

At the end of the year I will take my Chinese wife and teenage son to Christchurch.
I have been in China for 6 years and taught from Uni to kindies.
I have a degree and 25 yars of primary teaching, a Celta from AUT.
Sounds good enough?
Yet I fear I"ll get the bums rush since I am 63.
My wife is completely bilangual in English and Putonghua, but could be hard to employ as she is Chinese. Schools like to have longnoses up front
She too is well qualified, Chinese Uni and 20 years in Chinese schools

Currently we do a double act in kindies and our private business

There are about 40 language instruction places in Chch, so what are the prospects?
Here I turn work away .....it will be different in Godzone

How different?

Originally I lived in Auckland, but the house prices made it impossible, so that is no longer an option, regrettably
Kereru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter

You'll be aware that SARS has hit the Asian ESL market badly in NZ. At present more teachers are being laid off than hired. Hopefully this situation won't last. I was lucky & start my first TESOL job next week, 2 months after completing CELTA. With your quals you should contact CPIT's International School - it is the biggest in Chch - start with www.cpit.ac.nz. Also the Uni of Canterbury & College of Ed teach ESL. Perhaps your wife could also teach Chinese? A private school, St Andrews College is about to open an entirely new Language School in the historic old CGHS (if you know Chch at all). I believe it will be for high school age kids who want to gain entry to mainstream schools in NZ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: