Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Arab Academy for Science And Technology: Info, please?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carnac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: The Arab Academy for Science And Technology: Info, please? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any knowledge of "The Arab Academy for Science And Technology"?
Location Alexandria...
Thanks very much.
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I used to work there. What kind of info do you need?
carnac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Sekhmet!
Everything you care to share, positives and negatives. Size, type of student, faculty proficiency level generally, administration seriousness and drive, type of physical plant. Everything I can get.
Thanks very, very much.
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnac - you really are making excessively curious!!!

Anyway, what I know about the Academy is based on what I did with the AUC (their CACE program). The actual location is nice, in Miami fairly close to the sea, and it has a smallish, compact campus The teaching rooms are somewhat laughable - they have chalkboards (not a problem in itself, but there's never any chalk!), it's pretty impossible to hear what a student at the back of the room is saying, etc.

They have some nice technical stuff, including listening labs, showrooms and CALL labs, and it all seems pretty well run and effective.

However, my time working with CACE was not so much fun. They seemed to have excessive beauracracy, which was very hard if you only went there to teach twice a week for 3 hours a time! The place was very nice (I think they've just redecorated parts of it), and the students were also very friendly and willing to learn. However, as I say, these are CACE students, not Academy ones!!!

Hope that helps even a bit (and break the suspense!!!)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnac,

You're teaching in Oman, right? Have you ever been to Egypt or taught in Egypt? I started teaching in Cairo and then went to Oman. My general perception is that these two countries are total opposites. Smile

Egypt is noisy, dirty, chaotic, and definitely third world in life style and in the classroom. White boards are rare as hen's teeth. It is a fun and exciting place to live and work, but life can be a bit of an 'adventure.' Pay will be extremely low - allowing you to live on the economy, but not much saving unless you happen to be working for a place like AUC - few other places pay at its scale though.

Then, you have Oman... clean, quiet, organized, an almost British bureaucracy.... Most of the educational institutions have been built in the last 20 years and are shiny and new. But, many consider the life to be a bit dull - unless one is into the beaches and wadi bashing that Oman offers.

I found the difference between the people to be so striking. Egyptians being loud and argumentative and funny, and friendly - and I always had students that I enjoyed teaching. Then you have the Omanis... who are quiet and dignified and polite... rarely raise their voices... avoid arguments. I felt like I was on a different planet!! Smile For rather different reasons, I always enjoyed my students there too.

Sorry, but I haven't heard of this college though... just rambling on... I am glad that I started my career in Cairo as teaching in Egypt pretty much prepared me for anything. Cool

VS
carnac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sekhmet - thanks very much for the information. Sounds a little primitive for a place dealing with "Science and Technology".

VS - I'm pretty happy where I am and would only leave for an offer I "couldn't refuse" as it is said.
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnac - bear in mind I just dealt with a really small part of the campus!! I really couldn't tell you about the actual Acadmey itself. Like I said, the best I can do is give you a physical description!! Please don't jusdge the place on my description!
I hope that makes the situation clearer!
carnac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, understood. Thanks. Any more info you can give? I need everything you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: