Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phones in Argentina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Phones in Argentina Reply with quote

I�m now living in downtown Buenos Aires and have come to realize that if I hope to get any work I will need a phone. I was wondering what people could recommend in regards to cell phones. Con targeta o con abono? These seem to be the best two options but any information on the subject would be helpful. It probably depends on how long I�m going to stay and whether or not I want to sign for a year (36 pesos-month).

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for websites, newspapers, etc. for finding cheap apartments outside of the city? I guess the Buenos Aires Herald, which is in English, helps but I just want to make sure I�ve got all the resources I need. Thanks!
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I hope I am not getting late to reply ! Very Happy
As regards cell phones, I think you should try to get one with "tarjeta", as you are not staying in the country for over a year. The most reliable companies are Personal, Movicom or CTI.
To check things on newspapers consult www.clarin.com.ar
If I can be of any help consult me, I am argentine.
Regards and best wishes!
srp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much does phone service usually cost? if you make international calls frequently? Is it easy to get an international cell phone unlocked to function there or am I more likely to have to buy a new phone?
amy1982

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as getting an international cell phone "unlocked", that depends. ask your provider. if your cell phone is new(ish), has a sim card and/or is already an "international" phone (like TMobile), the chances go up.

i won't be in bsas til july, so i can't answer you're question based on my own experience... but i did ask a similar question on the general latin america forum. based on those responses, it sounds like even if you do have to get a phone once you're there, it's not that expensive (and is less of a hassle).
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're bringing a phone in from abroad it has to be tri-band or it won't work. As for getting a phone unlocked, it takes about 30 seconds to do in any independent mobile phone shop, at least in england anyway. It cost me �5, about $8 to unlock my phone. sometimes, but not very often your provider will do it for free, so you may as well ask. They'll probs say it's impossible though, which will be a lie.

The best thing to do is get a pay as you go sim card from Personal, Unifon etc and only use the phone for emergencies, receiving calls and slurring down the line for a radio taxi at 6 in the morning (Buenas noches, uh dias, neshesito un taxi por favor.- Si senor, para donde?- Donde?? Er...aguardame un momento, no tengo idea) Very Happy The problem with pay as you go phones is that the credit has a 1 month limit. You don't lose your credit but it becomes blocked. The cheapest recharge card is AR$10. My credit is now something stupid like AR$70 because i never use all the credit i buy every single month.

You should also get a 'linea control' landline in your flat (you'll need the rental agreement/deeds and your passport). It costs around AR$37 a month and gives you between 12 and 20 hours of local calls a month, depending on when you phone. To make international, long distance and mobile calls you buy a phone card. I get 43 minutes with a AR$10 phone card calling england, it's a bit cheaper calling the States, the same as Chile i think which gives you about 52 minutes for AR$10. This is about the best i've found, the card's called 'Llamada Directa'.
nomadamericana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also a lot of telecentro's where you can make calls. A telecentro is a little 'shop' with a bunch of private phone booths with a chair in each one... and they are everywhere. The price varies depending on the time of day but I found it the cheapest option for international calls.
A cell phone is fine for local calls and can be purchased in Argentina.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: