Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie, cairo in the fall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this world coming to?? These kids today.... Shocked Rolling Eyes Cool

I'd say if you can, pay off as much as possible. You never know what will happen in the future. Let's say in a year or two or three, you decide that you want to get an advanced degree... that would mean more loans and an even bigger balance at the end.

VS
tracygosnow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara,

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are...wanting to return to Egypt to teach but concerned about student loans being paid back home (I'm finishing grad school in May). But in regards to living expenses, if you decide to stay in Cairo...there are plenty of decent enough hostels to live in at least until you get established and can get a flat.

A friend I met in Cairo was working in a hair salon to make money to travel on and learn Arabic. I stayed a few nights at the hostel she was living in and it was only 10 EGP/night! The rooms were clean and quiet (about 4 beds but no one was around except us) and the bathrooms clean and with hot water (yahoo! that's my ONE luxury item). And it was right in Midan Tahir. I went to the flat of some American friends living/working in Cairo and it was a dump--yeah, it was their own place...but they never had reliable water and it was infested with angry looking ants, etc.

So there are alternatives to getting by until you can get established financially. Also, it's an incredibly inexpensive country in regards to food, etc. Plus, it sounds like you've travelled a bit and once you learn how things work, you can get good prices on everything.

Good luck and keep us posted! I'm hoping to go to Alex in May (after a little post-graduation R&R in Dahab).

Tracy

PS. Take advantage of the women only compartment on the Metro. I snubbed my nose at the idea and wanted to do the "non-touristy" thing and ride in the regular compartment. After one stop I immediately got off and switched. I had heard the rumors and thought it was BS, but you are really packed in like sardines and I had two wandering hands groping my ass. The women only compartment was practically empty and much more comfortable--aside from the usual stares you get for being a foreigner (I, too, am part of the white-ass white girl club...red hair and blue eyes).
sarinatwo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: going to cairo Reply with quote

Frankly I'm quite worried about some of these postings regarding money. Sekmet had friends to help her navigate the waters during her early days and this stopped her from being ripped off. I would strongly suggest hooking up with her for guidance if you do decide to go. Otherwise, I think Cairo is quite an expensive place for foreigners (there are basically 2 economies - one for locals and one for expats. and you will find it hard to get reasonable accommodation near the school you end up teaching at - most language schools are in fairly upmarket, or upwardly mobile areas) and the accommodation for foreigners reflects that. Sure it's not as expensive as many countries - but if you are earning Egyptian pounds but being charged "foreigner" prices it can become quite a difficult place to live. Unless you are married to an Egyptian, you will pay "foreigner" domestic airfares, "foreigner" entrance to sites etc and of course "foreigner" rents. You won't be able to take buses - too much hassle factor - and while the Metro is OK - it will not take you to the language schools - so you will have to organise a private taxi to take you daily - or maybe the school bus !!!! Very noisy, and I guarantee the stress factor will have you running for a private taxi and driver quick smart.

Can't imagine what sort of money the hairdresser was working for (a haircut costs the equivalent of around 2 US dollars or less - and it is a notoriously low paying/low status profession in Egypt).
Be very cautious money wise before coming - I also think that summer jobs would be hard to find as most schools close down and most of the better paying summer schools (e.g. Chouiefat ) would have lined up their summer staff much earlier.
As Sekmet said, language schools rarely pay air fare over - they may pay fare home though - and certainly they don't pay very well. Also, absolutely the only way to change your Egyptian pounds to dollars will be on the black market - not impossible, but difficult for a newbie to suss out.
Certainly, if you are realistic in what Cairo can offer - great opportunities to explore the ancient sites ( or not so ancient in Alex.'s case), a vibrant, "busy" culture - you will have a valuable experience here. However, be aware that you won't be able to save, it's not as cheap any more as people may assume and there is a fairly strong "hassle" factor - whether people care to acknowledge it or not. I lived there many years (worked the whole gamut of places - language schools, summer schools and tertiary institutions - all in Cairo though). If you want the addresses of some schools in Cairo, or want an inside opinion of the reputation of a school or institute in Cairo - then I'll be happy to help out.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarina,

I agree with you, but as I recall from the start of this thread, the people were all talking of going to Alex rather than Cairo. I too hope that they will be able to meet up with Sekhmet for her valuable help. Survival in Egypt depends to a great deal on your ability to find and use local contacts - both other expats and local Egyptians. But, it can be so rewarding... after a couple of years, you feel that you have accomplished something. Cool You have survived the 'adventure' of life in Egypt.

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!!!! I was so lucky to come out here and be able to get help with things from the start. Egypt is different from most of the other countries I've visited, in that knowing some of the language is practically essential to get by withouit being fleeced!!!! Actually, I'm in Sharm El Sheikh right now (ah, holiday!!!!!!), and speaking Arabic here is getting me some amazing concessions!!! So, it's definitely worth it...

So, if anyone does come to Alex, feel free to get in touch, and I'll see what I can do!!! There aren't many ex-pats in Alex, so it's always good to meet new people!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sekhmet,

You are very kind to help out any newbies who run you down in Alex. But, I want to make sure that people are not scared away by your statement about Arabic. The more Arabic you know, the better, of course, but a basic survival level will do just fine. Egyptians are charmed by one's attempts - and everyone is willing to give impromptu lessons (which is how I learned most of my skills in Arabic... limited as they are). The ability to use appropriate greetings and politeness will normally get one's prices lowered immediately.

VS
sara.ede

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have all been great, I'm actually starting ot think mroe along the lines of "closer to home" until I'm a more seasoned teacher and I'm not having to simultaneously learn how to teach and deal with a lot of culture shock. I'm a seasoned enough traveler to know how dificult it can be and how the day to day hassle of all the attention can get to you over time. Egypt is still most definitely high on my list but maybe not for my first year...

Sara
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara, I can completely see your point!!! The first year is very scary. I think the best suggestion is to find yourself a support network in the country you want to go to, because that definitely makes it a whole lot easier. My first year teaching, I went to China knowing no one (aside from a friend that I went with), and it was scary!! Just jump on in there, and you'll be fine. Good luck with whatever you decide!!

VS - true - maybe a little too harsh a comment!! But it is true that people often get better deals here once they have some knowledge of Arabic. Just the basics will do - knowing how to say your destination in Arabic is often enough for taxi drivers, and saying "shokran" and "minfadlak" in a shop is useful!! Other than that, just looking like you know what you're doing is good. Same as any big city I guess!!
sara.ede

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Mombasa by myself once and knew that I wanted to find a place to stay near the old fort area. I spent a good part of the train ride trying to remember how to say "I need you to take me near Fort Jesus" in Swahili and of course "how much". I got off the train, negotiated all in Swahili with the driver and got in the cab. He of course started speaking in rapid fire Swahili once we were on our way and I had no clue what was being said and told him so in English. He laughed heartily at his assumption that I was fluent and had managed to 'trick' him into a cheaper fair.

Knowing at least SOMETHING definitely helps anywhere I think.

Sara
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sara,

You would probably do fine in Egypt. I landed in Cairo and ended up having my (almost) first teaching experience way out by the pyramids in a factory with a bunch of line workers and given a text that was about two levels over their heads. It was trial by fire!! I did an awful job, but the students were much too kind to notice. They were my first teachers in my long running 'Arabi for taxis' course.

But, the decision to do your first year in the US is probably a good one for you. You may want to try adult ed. The pay is not grand, but it provides different types of courses and would be similar to overseas language schools.

Ahhh to be your age again!! Wink Egypt has been there a very long time and it will wait for you.

VS
sara.ede

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually awaiting a potential job offer in Mexico. I still want to go abroad but at least this way it would only be a wopping two hundred bucks to come home rather than 1000+ for holidays etc. Its nice to KNOW i could go home...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a good first choice too. When I arrived in Egypt, I had the paid-for return portion of my ticket in hand. So, I knew that I could leave anytime if I felt the need. Funny how that allows you to accept difficulties much easier when you know you can leave. Cool

VS
sara.ede

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so true, its funny. I got the job in Mexico! I'm so excited. So, at least another year before i make it to Egypt but I know I will someday...I just can't wait for that first vacation week so I can go to Cuba! Smile

Sara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: