Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malta?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Utopia Reply with quote

While you dream about creating human happiness in your utopian community, the rest of us have to get on with feeding the children and making sure there is enough money to pay the bill for utilities.
polihymnia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Dreaming and struggling aren't mutually exclusive,... Reply with quote

...and it can't hurt you. Smile I have a day job that doesn't fit my values, yet I dream of obtaining work that does fit my values and manage to squeeze in time to research ways other people have already achieved that end.

Every important revolution involved struggle as its impetus, which leads to the dream, or vision, of how life would be if the necessary changes were already in place. Think of the major strikes around the turn of the 20th c. that resulted in better working conditions and reasonable-length work days for the worker. It is too bad now that many people sell out their rights by signing contracts as "exempt" employees, where they do not get paid for overtime and are expected to work 65 hours a week. Kind of equivilant to the attitude of, "Well, they treat me nicely here on the plantation, so I guess I'll stay." Rather than taking the courageous leap into the unknown. That's how it is in the U.S. People are entranced by what's on the tube tonight, a different kind of dreaming than the dream that precedes taking the path toward positive change.

As I mentioned, the complete change from the rule of big-corporate capitalism will not likely happen in our lifetime. We have many people to thank for the priviledges and freedom that we enjoy, people who worked diligently toward change but didn't live long enough to enjoy the positive results of their activism.
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: polyglot Reply with quote

I was under the impression that most Maltese are trilingual, speaking Maltese, Italian and English. Would be interested to know the language (and EFL) situation in Malta myself.
lajzar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was under the impression that most Maltese are trilingual, speaking Maltese, Italian and English. Would be interested to know the language (and EFL) situation in Malta myself.

That is pretty much the situation. Exact levels of fluency vary between individuals of course, but secondary education is fully bilingual, and as bilingualism (english/maltese) is required for all government and most professional jobs, domestic teachers aren't in particularly short supply.

If you have any specific question, I'd be happy to answer them.
[/quote]
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polihymnia

You're from S.F., right ?

Guess that explains it then. Razz

The rest of us live in various parts of the real world. Wink
polihymnia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Real world, cheaper for American to study in Europe Reply with quote

Well, I should've expected that little regional jab, Rogan. Rolling Eyes Interesting that you say that, considering you are in Europe, which, despite its smaller land mass, has far more permaculture and eco-villages, and people working toward "real-world" change than the U.S. has. Or is Europe not part of the "real" world? Razz

I don't want to drag out the permaculture discussion here on the Malta board; I was merely attempting to offer a seed of information about alternatives to capitalism since Signe brought up disgruntlement with the system.

Signe, my fellow San Franciscan Wink , you may also be interested to know that it would be cheaper for you to get your certification at a school abroad than at the incredibly expensive St. Giles. Check it out with your online currency converter. I am considering getting the CELTA TEFL also, and I have compared the fees of several different schools across Europe against St. Giles. St. Giles is twice as expensive as a lot of them.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Malta ? Reply with quote

Malta ? No .
And before you ask there are no jobs to be had in The Big Rock Candy Mountain either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: