Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
praisebuddha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: General Advice Reply with quote

thanks for taking the time to read this.
i am looking to work in england from about july/august til december just for the experience and the pounds value. i have a masters degree in tourism but no teaching experience and actually don't care what kind of work i do (teaching, pub job etc..) so can i please get some advice on what i need to go there? work visa, accomodation tips, job boards etc... thanks and have a great day, i appreciate all of the assistance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching OR a pub job?
ShrewsburyPie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.reed.co.uk is the only site Ive used that was any good, and I looked at most of these job sites (guardian.co.uk or whatever and monster.co.uk and such).

You need a work permit of course, but I dont know what kind. Go to http://www.uk.emb.gov.au/ for information. The only one I see there requires you be under 30, but that cant be right because people move from the UK to Australia all the time without incident. Its a commonwealth thing, so it should be easy to get a work permit but not from what I see on that site.

And short term ESL teaching is the same kind of thing as pub work so "31" shouldnt be so surprised. Same high turnover rate, pay scale, work/education qualitifcations, etc. I cant imagine there being much demand for ESL teachers in England anyway when you can just step outside or turn the tv on and learn the language to your heart's content.
junkmail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: General Advice Reply with quote

praisebuddha wrote:
thanks for taking the time to read this.
i am looking to work in england from about july/august til december just for the experience and the pounds value. i have a masters degree in tourism but no teaching experience and actually don't care what kind of work i do (teaching, pub job etc..) so can i please get some advice on what i need to go there? work visa, accomodation tips, job boards etc... thanks and have a great day, i appreciate all of the assistance.

If you want to make any savings then two pieces of advice:
Stay a little longer than four months and forget pub jobs, especially with a Masters in tourism you could do much better.
Head for London, you won't be dissapointed.

Have fun!

O.K. I can't count
SueH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShrewsburyPie wrote:
I cant imagine there being much demand for ESL teachers in England anyway when you can just step outside or turn the tv on and learn the language to your heart's content.

Some do and they are the ones who want formal teaching as well. Others work in the local [ethnic restaurant] with other [specify L1] and watch [L1] cable television...

As for demand, it's there although the provision often isn't. Ofsted (govt inspection agency) has criticised ESOL provision and blamed poorly qualified teachers...
Av

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Temp jobs Reply with quote

Hello praisebuddha

If you are arriving in the summer, it is relatively easy to find bar work in Cornwall. Pubs and clubs will be crying out for staff during the tourist season.

You will be able to meet a lot of people and make some contacts. You will also have your days free to visit employment agencies to arrange work after the season ends.

Av
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: