Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's living in Egypt like?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moemanco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: What's living in Egypt like? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of moving to Egypt and would like to know from some of you what it's like to live and work in Egypt. What are the people like towards you? How do you feel about the treatment of other teachers and Egyptians towards you as foreigners or foreign born Egyptians, if there are any of you out there, working in Egypt.

Moe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stoth1972

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Life in Egypt Reply with quote

Insane, chaotic, amuzing, exciting, frustrating, dirty, luxurious, surreal....the list goes on and on. Most people go through all of the above emotions, lather, rinse, repeat. I lived there for 2 years and went back this summer to teach summer school. You are never at a loss for something to do in Cairo, and making friends there is pretty easy. I didn't feel that I was treated any differently this summer, from when I lived there 3 years ago. I have heard of friends being harassed at peak political times over the last couple of years, but nothing too worrysome.

Money buys any comfort or luxury in Egypt. You'll notice an incredibly wealthy class and an incredibly poor class. Holiday making for a resident of Egypt is inexpensive and potentially quite posh (or potentially downright cheap if you want to go that route). There are loads of American restaurant franchises, but if you have a favourite treat (Oreos or Mac and Cheese) you'll pay through the nose for these things. Fruit, veg and other food stuff is generally very cheap. The city is forever alive so finding something to do is never a problem-shisha bars, cafes, Egyptian restaurants, bars, nightclubs.....a little bit of everything.

There are no hard and fast rules, so you'll need to be flexible. "Tomorrow" doesn't always mean tomorrow, "yes" doesn't always mean yes, and "no" doesn't always mean no. Tips make things happen, but you might have already experienced this in your travels to Egypt. It's hard to answer this question without leaving out details. Feel free to ask away!
moemanco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW I'm at a loss for questions Embarassed . You provided lots of details there that I can't think of anything to ask. But if anyone has anything to ask please ask away.

Thanks heaps Stoth1972

Moe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoth is completely spot-on with that analysis! Egypt is all of the above, and then some...
However, Alex is almost a different culture from Cairo - I feel much more at home here, and have made lots of good friends, but I have little contact with ex-pats. Everything you can find in Cairo, you can find here (although in smaller quantities), but the attitude seems to be different. People don't seem to be quite so desperate to get your money, they seem to just enjoy chatting to foreigners rather than trying to fleece them!
One thing that will always confuse me about Egypt is how people can stay out so late (and allow their small children to stay out late, too), and then get up for work in the mornings! In order to get to my school, I have to get up around 6.30, so late nights are something of a rarity for me! I have frequently seen parents with young children (from babies upwards!), wandering the streets near my neighbourhood, or in Green Plaza until well after midnight, and on some occasions until after 2am...
Other than that, it's great. People are very relaxed (although I really hate being late for anything, so that trait annoys me) and always willing to help. In terms of the pollution - it's escapable!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psst... Sekhmet... it is the afternoon nap!!

You and Stoth have done so well, I can go back to sleep...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: