Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D.O.S.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xnihil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: D.O.S. Reply with quote

Here's a total Newbie question:

What does D.O.S. stand for?
M.K.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Newbie Answer Reply with quote

I'm a newbie, I'll bite...and I've been curious about that myself, as TEFL seems to be quite the maze of acronyms.

Does it mean Director Of Studies?

Do I get a prize if I'm right?

I bet if I'm wrong I'll get a thorough flaming along the lines of "you suck so don't even try to get anywhere in this business dumb@ss" Rolling Eyes
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

It's Director of Studies
Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: But.... Reply with quote

But in the world of TEFL we seldom will get a prize, even when we're right. Wink Cool
Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Answer Reply with quote

M.K. wrote:

I bet if I'm wrong I'll get a thorough flaming along the lines of "you suck so don't even try to get anywhere in this business dumb@ss" Rolling Eyes

Just read the last part of your post. I'm going to tell you a secret. Shh. Don't tell the others I told you, okay? Wink

I've seen some people who make Homer Simpson look like Albert Einstein thrive in this field. I mean, if these guys ever learned what a computer was, and figured out enough about what a "keyboard" was to make a post here, they'd be flamed so much that Dave wouldn't need to pay his heating bill for some time to come.

They had zero teaching skills. But fate refused to tar and feather them. Evil or Very Mad

I've also seen teachers - BEDs and everything - get dragged in the mud so much they give up.

Making it/not making it has a lot to do with fate, personal integrity, a willingness to grow by suffering, tenacity and asking the "dumb" questions. Wow, that could be used even outside EFL.

I think you were joking. On this forum we're all cute and sweet and innocent Wink , but what the hoo, I think my message has (barely) enough merit to justify hitting that send button.
M.K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part I find those on this board to be kind and patient with the newbies like myself. I'm just wary of those experienced teachers who seem to on the lookout, flamethrower in hand, for grammar mistakes or stupid questions. Why even puruse the Newbie Forum if these types of blunders get you so worked up that you have to waste time typing a discouraging response along the lines of "you suck, you'll never make it, etc."? I think that's why you'll see a lot of people in this forum are very defensive if it's their first post.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your "secret", Wolf Wink
You said:
"Making it/not making it has a lot to do with fate, personal integrity, a willingness to grow by suffering, tenacity and asking the "dumb" questions. Wow, that could be used even outside EFL."

I fully agree. Suprisingly enough, we newbies aren't all a bunch of naive 20-year-olds fresh out of college looking to party and get laid. Some of us have held down professional jobs for a few years, so we actually do know how the real world works and we know what it's like to have to work hard and put up with some crap to make ends meet. Something for experienced teachers to consider next time they read a question that appears stupid or obvious to them. We all have to start somewhere in this field, and asking stupid questions is all part of the learning process.
I'll hop down off my soapbox now Smile
Best regards to all,
Melissa
Jojo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEll said Melissa. Wolf thanks for sharing your tidbits of wisdom with us.

Jojo Very Happy
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Stupid questions Reply with quote

Quote:
Suprisingly enough, we newbies aren't all a bunch of naive 20-year-olds fresh out of college looking to party and get laid. Some of us have held down professional jobs for a few years, so we actually do know how the real world works and we know what it's like to have to work hard and put up with some crap to make ends meet. Something for experienced teachers to consider next time they read a question that appears stupid or obvious to them. We all have to start somewhere in this field, and asking stupid questions is all part of the learning process.

- M.K./Melissa

Point well taken about all having to start somewhere and asking stupid questions. However, it can be somewhat irritating and frustrating when someone who has EFL teaching experience in a particular geographic area takes the time to respond to a newbie question and then receives certain types of replies.

Personally, I find it a bit irritating when I post a response/opinion based on my experience and knowledge, and then a newbie who has never been here wants to argue about it or tells me I'm wrong. It doesn't really matter whether the newbie is a fresh-out-of-college person looking to get laid or someone who has been an accountant for 10 years. Chances are that I know more about the topic of teaching EFL in the city where I live and work than the newbie does.

Another thing to keep in mind is that having had real-world experience in other fields doesn't necessarily make one aware of the real world of teaching EFL. Even someone who has had ESL teaching experience in his own country is probably in for a lot of surprises when he decides to try teaching EFL abroad.

A bit of advice to newbies and the way they respond to posts: Don't shoot the messenger! If an experienced EFLer posts something you don't want to hear, don't blame him for providing a real answer. Granted, there's no excuse for rude or insulting posts. However, just because the message contains something you don't want to hear/accept, that doesn't necessarily make it rude or insulting.
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...to which I would add that most newbies only ask questions, and never help others on this forum!
Once they do have a job out there, they are never heard of or seen again!
M.K.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Round de Bloc said:
"Personally, I find it a bit irritating when I post a response/opinion based on my experience and knowledge, and then a newbie who has never been here wants to argue about it or tells me I'm wrong."

I completely agree! I think a lot of newbies are in denial about the realities of TEFL. They want to think it's going to be a life of luxury - living in some postcard-perfect exotic locale, maybe working a few hours here and there. When anyone tells them otherwise, or heaven forbid, that they might not even qualify for their desired destination due to EU citizenship status, having no degree, or simply a lack of available positions, then they get all defensive and turn to the old "Well, I KNOW I can teach in Paris because I know this guy who..." Yes, that's annoying to everyone, not just the experienced folks.

Thankfully before I made my final decision to enter this profession, I talked quite a bit with a friend of mine who is currently teaching in Eastern Europe. She was able to give me a realistic picture of what it's like, so I do feel like I'm going into this with my eyes open.

And regarding Roger's frustration with newbies disapperaing into the wild blue yonder and never returning to supply advice on this board...I promise not to do that, okay? Wink This forum and Dave's whole site have been infinitely valuable to me during this newbie period. I will be happy to return the favor!
Melissa
Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid questions are fine; it is stupid moralising rants about the realities and technicalities of EFL teaching from those who cannot present any form of alternative response to a constructive, informative, and/or well argued post that annoy me.

As for DOS officially it does mean Director of Studies. However, in many/most schools in Taiwan it means somebody who has aquired a job thorough longevity at a company (this can be as little as 9 months.) This generally means that they fall into one of two categories: firstly, never wanted the job, but was forced to take it; secondly, on a power trip (but probably pretty $hite as a teacher). (Please note this is not all DOSes, just the majority.)

Good luck
Stephen

"To be or not to be that is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to accept the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or take up arms against a sea of troubles and, hence, end them." (Probably misquoted)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: