Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instituto Britanico

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piscean21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Instituto Britanico Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm interested in applying for work with Instituto Britanico and was wondering if anyone could give me some background info. on them - aside from what they have posted on their website. i.e., working conditions, relationship between management and teachers, student attitudes, horror stories, positive comments, etc. I've found a few posts about them, but there wasn't much said. Thanks!
p_town_green

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught at Instituto Britanico from March 2004-March 2005 and had a good experience there. I'd say it's one of the better organized institutes in San Jose, with clearly defined levels, a wide array of resources, and helpful, resourceful teachers.

Working conditions are pretty standard by CR standards: some split shifts (though usually two or three days per week max), saturday morning classes (though you get 48 hours of weekend as no teachers work Monday mornings), and average pay--perhaps a bit lower than at some places, but one month of paid vacation and a year-end bonus (in addition to the required Christmas bonus) end up making it relatively lucrative, by CR standards.

The management treats teachers pretty well--definitely no concerns about getting paid on time, etc--and gives teachers quite a bit of freedom while encouraging them to improve as educators. No horror stories at all, actually. Like any place with 30+ employees there are some "office" politics you'll become aware of, but nothing too crazy. Overall I got on well with the administration and fellow teachers, many of whom were good friends.

Students: there are some kids classes, which I chose not to teach. I taught adults at the Institute and at off-site corporate locations (they pay you extra to teach off-site, unlike many language institutes). I had a great time with my classes--I'd say the majority are pretty motivated to learn English, but of course there are some, especially in corporate classes, who would rather be anywhere other than in an English class. If you can make classes fun they usually come around though, and I had some who ended up liking coming to class despite initial resistance. It's also pretty common for teachers to go out with their classes for dinner or a drink from time to time--I had several friends who were, or who had been, students.

Hope that helps!!! FYI, I was considering renewing my contract at IB but felt that one year was enough time in San Jose...

Good luck!

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: