Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fido goes abroad: addendum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeli9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Fido goes abroad: addendum Reply with quote

I read the "before you post..." after I'd posted. Oops. So, more info on me: 32, restless former bear researcher turned science publishing slave disillusioned by the corporate/urban world. I've had a desire to teach english abroad for years but never acted on it, as I was afraid to change gears professionally (even though I'd made the leap from researcher to desk lackey). Last year I moved to France for 6 months to solidify my speaking skills and explore the feeling of living abroad. I love my friends there (some are now like family), adore the language, but am not completely enamoured with the culture. Despite not falling in love with France, I did fall in love with living abroad and with communicating with/sharing with people of different backgrounds. Sometimes I feel a bit like a fish out of water here in the good ol' US of A, particularly with W at the helm.

Although I've taught informally (sharing my research with interested people, talking to tourist groups about wildlife science etc. etc.) I've never been trained. I also have an intense fear of speaking in public. BUT, I love language, love grammer, and have good people skills. I'm hoping that in the process of obtaining a TESOL certificate I can learn how to channel my fear of public speaking into something more productive and teaching-friendly.

I don't think I'm interested in teaching in Asian countries. I'm more drawn to Eastern Europe. As with most European jobs, positions in E. Europe seem few and far between...

But, I'm going to give it a go...
(preferrably with my dog Wink )

Zeli
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Former Bear Researcher Turned TESOL Teacher....... Reply with quote

Excuse the sarcasm.I have not had my coffee yet.But,well,why not? Anything the traffic will bear! Laughing Rolling Eyes

First,a very important question. Are you a citizen of an EU country? From your post,it sounds like you are not.Almost anywhere in eastern Europe,you are going to find it well nigh impossible to teach if you are not EU,now that the EU has extended to twenty five members.I am not saying it is impossible...just very difficult.

As to your canine friend, Fido,i t depends on the country where you go...he(or she?) will have to have all of the requisite shots, probably a vet's certificate and God knows what else,depending on the specific country.Again,not impossible,but certainly not easy to take an animal into any country.Also probably expensive.

Depending on the country,etc,you might have problems finding a flat,etc. that will take the pooch.The school could probably care less if you have a dog or not,as long as you show up to teach.

Good luck.Going to eastern Europe(or any other country) to teach involves a lot more than just walking across the street.It is usually appreciably more difficult than moving around in the US....even without a pooch.With an animal in tow,it is even more difficult.Good luck.Do your homework before you get on any plane with Fido. Smile
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Doggedness Reply with quote

Dear zeli9,
bnix is right on about the difficulty of a USA citizen getting an EFL teaching job in the EU. But regarding your dog, well, I actually got one into Saudi Arabia when I first came here in 1980 - a S h i t z h u. ( have to seaparate the letters or the word gets " bleeped " ). And, considering how Moslems in general and most Saudis in particular feel about canines, that was a near-miracle. The Saudi embassy had told me - " No problem ". and given me a " paper ", but at the airport, when I got here, the customs people were flabbergasted. But I finally got " Chu " in, with a little help from my Director ( that's called " wasta " here - clout, pull, influence ). They classified her as a " watchdog " to satisfy the " law ". The only way she could have been a watchdog would have been if I'd bought her a Timex.
Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: oh, and by the way ... Reply with quote

Dear zeli9:

Funny post by johnslat; and good advice from bnix too! Very Happy

I had a dog for 13 years, and he was my best friend, so I do understand your desire to bring him along for the ride. However, I would personally not bring this issue up until AFTER you've landed that 'elusive' job and gotten down to the nitty-gritty details of signing the contract.

Something along the lines of ... "Oh, and by the way! I have a cute little dog named (fill in the blank) and I was wondering if there would be any problems if I were to bring him along ... blah blah blah ... pleeeeeeze!!!"

As bnix rightly pointed out, most school managers probably won't care. It's your future landlord or landlady that might object. And when it comes to dogs, size DOES matter. In plain English, small is good. Big is bad.

Regarding eastern Europe: it's a big chunk of real estate. There are still quite a few EFL options for you in 'my' neck of the woods. For specific information, you'd be smart to check out the individual country forums.

Good luck, ruff, ruff Exclamation

kENt
Celeste

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the dog issue:

Be sure to find out if your prospective country and/or your home country have quarantine periods for animals. Some quarantine periods can be quite long (up to six months) and quarantine facilities are a bit traumatic for pets. For this reason, many people choose to leave their furry family members with granny and grandad until they return to the homeland.

Something to think about.
zeli9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: bears, dogs, teachers... Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the feedback. My dog is actually a French native, found on the streets, so I'm familiar with the into and out of US/France stuff but that's about it. So, yes, I'll be doing a whole mess of homework before I get attached to the idea of having her with me wherever I end up. I'm hopeful. She is small, by the way, too. Picture a black lab and a s h i t z h u having a romantic entanglement and, voila...

Also, thanks for not laying into me. I know my question is a little ridiculous but, hey, some of us are attached to our pets. My first dog accompanied me on all of my field work - better for a girl to run backcountry trails with a canine companion - so why not have accompany me abroad.

BTW, I'll go check out the Russia forum.

Thanks again.
zeli
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeli9 wrote
Quote:
former bear reseacher

I would LOVE research bears for a while instead of teaching English. Sure you don't want to come to Japan? Maybe we can swap jobs?

T
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: I can't bear it Reply with quote

Dear tjpnz2000,
You bear watching - of that, there's no doubt whatsoever.
Regards,
John
zeli9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: bear watching Reply with quote

You know, on second thought, I'd love to go to Japan! That's a deal. But, there's no more bear watching for me these days. I now have a boring desk job at a science journal...It wouldn't be a fair swap.

Actually, back in the bear days, I was hoping to sign on to a project in Japan run through my former employer, the Institute for Widlife Studies. They study Stellars Sea Eagles there and were hoping to become part of a large-scale brown bear study. I opted out of field research before the project had reached the final negotiation stage. Looks like the deal fell through with the Japanese government as I don't see mention of it on their website...

I hear it's stunning over there and that the wildlife is amazing. Also that the Japanese leave a bit to be desired in the wildlife conservation realm...

johnslat, how's that ferocious timex-sporting pooch?

Thanks again everyone for your counsel...
All the best to you!
Jenny (zeli9)
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Teacher's pets Reply with quote

Dear zeli9,
Well, I'm afraid Chu I died about 6 years ago; I had her in Jeddah from 1980 to 1984 and she was about 2 years old when I arrived. So, she had a good, long and, I think, happy life. I gave her to my sister in 1984 and she spent the rest of her time there, a much more congenial environment for a pooch, fussed over by 3 kids who loved her. That was my first dog, my first pet, really, and I hadn't realized before just how deeply you can become attached to them - and they to you. When my sister called to tell me she'd died, I'll admit - it broke me up. That was some dog, although I'm pretty sure she either thought she was a person or that we were all some odd breed of canine. I've got Chu II now, in Santa Fe, NM. Do you believe in reincarnation? Me, neither - but sometimes Chu II makes me not so sure.
Regards,
John
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear zeli9.

While there are many things I love about Japan the wild life is not one of them. Sadly Japan has as had as much concrete poured on it as the continental US and even more sadly it shows. I once described Japan as `A beautiful country that got concreted over by the nicest bunch of people you ever met`.

For nature the greatest place in the world is New Zealand (nz). I really miss not waking up looking out the window and seeing a location from Lord of the Rings. Now, if we had bears...

T
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeli I know how you feel--I missed my dog more than my ex (live-in)girlfriend (I gave her the dog when we broke up). I know people that travel around with pets so it must be easy. I say try to bring poochie with you and if they don't let her into the country shoot the dog (or use euthanasia if you are humane).
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Love me, love my dog Reply with quote

Dear PanamaTeacher,
" if they don't let her into the country shoot the dog (or use euthanasia if you are humane). "
The h e l l with that - shoot them, instead. They'll undoubtedly be much more deserving of it. In Saudi, when the Director tried to talk me into sending the dog home ( to whom, I asked - nobody there ), I told him no problem; if the dog goes, so do I. He got on the phone fast.
Regards,
John
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that would bring out the ire in dog's best friend. Who are the pets: us or poochie. I wish I could live like my old dog. Home all day, sleep, eat, chew things up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: