Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fedup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Advice needed Reply with quote

OK! Am at a crossroads and dont know which way to turn.

Have done one of those dodgy TESOL courses with no teacher/lesson training.

Have been trying everywhere to get a job but they all ask how much teaching time I've got. (Nothing being the answer) Am not keen on lying my face off which I would be doing but I cant seem to get a start. I do not have a degree in anything but life!

Have looked into other things. EF has a course that gives one month hands on teacher training, with a year with them as indentured labour. (which isnt really a problem as I have done shitty jobs for longer). But its a chance to get some experience (which I dont have) and a reference and time to make contacts over there. Havent been able to find anything else that does the same without doing a CELTA course which is long and expensive especially after paying for the International TESOL Course.

I need some ideas on what to do.

If I do EF will that limit me later with other schools?
Is EF as bad as all the stuff Ive been reading?
Is it better to fly by the seat of my pants or suffer a year to get a better chance at ESL as a career?
What is a professional ESL resume? one filled with teacher experience rather that an essay on what wonderful qualities one has?

Help! Am getting fedup but dont want to give up!
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Selling Cambodia!! Reply with quote

You dont say where you are-- are you in the UK? If you go to
work for EF in the UK, you'll be teaching bored Euro-brats for
the most part. Why not hop on a plane and try Cambodia? The
air fare isnt too much and there arent many people travelling
to Asia right now, so maybe it will be even cheaper than normal.
The students in cambodia want to learn English. They love
women teachers, if you are one. And they are certainly not
spoiled brats. Go for it!!! Very Happy
Celeste

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you from?

Where would you like to teach?

Do you have a degree as well as your newly minted certificate?

If you can give us a little more info we can offer you more accurate advice.

There are jobs out there that don't require experience (EF isn't the only company that is willing to hire newbies!) so don't worry too much.
If you are having trouble putting together a resume because you have a lack of teaching experience, simply list all relevant experience that you do have(ever tutored anyone in any subject? ever babysat kids? ever done any volunteer work with a church youth group or sports club?)

Very few people land the cherry jobs thier first time out of the gate, but you will get
ajob and that will lead to another and another.

Good luck.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: don't give up [yet]! Reply with quote

Dear fedup at the crossroads:

This is a good news/bad news post. Twisted Evil

First, the bad news: With no degree and no formal teaching experience you will not land a cushy job right off the bat. Truth be told, you haven't earned it yet.

Like any profession, those without experience and qualifications start out on the bottom rung of the ladder. EFL is no different, really.

Now the good news: If you are serious about a career in EFL, you can work your way up that ladder, with the focus on the word 'work'. There are quite a few schools [EF included] which will provide you with some decent training, a roof over your head, a few bucks in your pocket to prevent starvation ... and the hands-on experience that you need in order to land the next job, which will likely be better than the first one.

If you're serious about EFL, remember that a BA or BS is still the major meal-ticket to financial happiness. Without it, you are probably headed for a difficult and winding road, but that road may also be a hell of a lot more fun than the alternative.

Consider the possibility of working for a franchise like EF while studying part-time toward your BA in (fill-in-the-blank). You could also enroll in a decent CELTA or DELTA program while teaching part-time to pay the bill.

I know this isn't exactly what you really wanted to hear, but it's truly what needed to be said.

Good luck Exclamation
kEnt

PS: Spending a couple years with English First will not harm your future chances of landing a better position. Trust me.

PSS: For tips on writing a good resume', see the post further down on this forum. There are a couple of good links there which should help.

"The only service a friend can really render is to keep up your courage by holding up to you a mirror in which you can see a noble image of yourself." -George Bernard Shaw
fedup

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. You have given me much food for thought. Which is what I wanted.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Chain schools Reply with quote

Quote:
But its a chance to get some experience (which I dont have) and a reference and time to make contacts over there.

- fedup

I'm not sure where you are and where you'd like to go, but I've noticed that many people from the UK refer to the other side of the pond as "over there."

Have you considered one of the chain schools as an alternative? There are a couple of chain schools in Mexico, for example, that offer/require their own month-long teacher training course prior to working for them. The courses are free, but then, obviously, you'd have to be prepared to live for a month without any income. I've noticed that most people who take such courses get hired by those schools, although there's no guarantee. They tend not to be the best places to work regarding wages, but they would provide you with practical training and the experience you lack. You could take one of their courses, work for them for 6 months or so, and be on location to look for a better position if you didn't want to continue working there.

Now, the lack of a degree would probably cause you a problem if you wanted to work legally in this country. Some schools don't require one in order to work for them, but immigration usually does.

Note: I'm neither recommending nor discouraging the chain-school routine, just mentioning it as a possible option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: