Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA in Brno anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arab Strap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: CELTA in Brno anyone? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone out there is considering doing a CELTA in CZ.

I have applied for a CELTA course through Akcent in Prague. The course will be run in Brno over July.

At the moment the course is under subscribed and they are looking for new students (Prague's the place so it seems).

I have been offered a discount if I am able to find other interested parties. I would be willing to split the discount with somebody.

Brno is not Prague I know (I've lived here on and off for 8 years) but in my mind it offers a lot more than the capital in terms of friendly locals, proximity to Vienna, Budpest and Bratislava, it's not as hetic and is more true to a genuine Czech experience than Prague which has become overrun with tourists......................life here is a lot cheaper too.

Akcent can arrange accommodation at a much lower rate than Prague.

I don't work for Akcent and I am not their agent I just want to do this course in my "home" town and to be honest Prague to me is just a visit to the airport, seen it, done it....................you could always visit Prague at the weekends, buses are frequent and cheap.

Anyone interested please PM me for more details
Aramas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that you've checked out the CELTA course at MUNI in Brno. it's lot cheaper than AKCENT, and it's done part time over three months, twice a year - and at a reputable uni.
Shaun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The course at Muni is part time and is in fact not much cheaper - it is about 1500Kc cheaper (around 60 dollars) to do the course at MUNI but then if you factor in living costs for Brno based on a one month versus three month period I would suggest the costs would be very different.
The MUNI and IH Brno courses are not in competition with each other we are just offering a fulltime course between their two part times one.
Arab Strap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Brno CELTA Reply with quote

Shaun's 100% right, I was also considering doing the course through MUNI but as I am currently teaching in Brno, even though the course is part-time, it would have meant losing too many lessons and precious Keroona for me
Aramas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the MUNI course is 35000 k vs. 41000 k at Akcent - a saving of 6000 k ($250USD). Not an insignificant saving.

As for it being 3 months, I consider that to be an advantage - particularly since it's on a uni campus. It could easily be the best 3 months of your life.
Arab Strap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It could easily be the best 3 months of your life"...................maybe so but it could also be the most expensive 3 months of your life as you'll have to pay for bed and board.

Like I said I was considering taking this course which is specifically timetabled for those who are already teaching (esp. Czechs who get a very large discount) but it still takes up a sizeable chunk of the working week.
JSJR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am seriously considering teaching in Brno in the autumn of 2005. I live near Boston now and I will be applying for work in Brno soon. I will also be earning my certification in Boston unless there is a better way, and by better way I mean that there are other schools, perhaps even in Brno, that have both an excellent reputation and excellent connections.
vochinch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking the TEFL course at Boland in May. It isn't CELTA or Trinity but I hear they have good connections. Check out their web site for info:

http://www.boland-czech.com
JSJR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vochinch wrote:
I'm taking the TEFL course at Boland in May. It isn't CELTA or Trinity but I hear they have good connections. Check out their web site for info:

http://www.boland-czech.com

I checked it out, and it's a possibility--I just have reservations about applying to a place in a foreign country that I barely know. Nonetheless I may try writing them a letter. Give me a PM if you get a chance. Thanks!
ddarko34

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of curiosity, how much is the CELTA program Akcent in Prague or Brno? how rigorous is the course? 9-5pm? night classes? day only? can someone break down the curriculum for me?
merlin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm taking the TEFL course at Boland in May.

Jo It's July now.
How did you like the course?
How did the connections work out?
Seekeroflight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Offers Reply with quote

What are they offering in the way of a maybe Scholarships or anything of the sort? I am looking for something cheap or that which is payed already.
Andare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scholarship for a CELTA?! I can`t see that one getting off the ground, more`s the pity. If you`re as skint as you sound, you`re looking at the wrong job and the wrong country. You could get a cheapo certificate but it`d be of very little use to you. TEFL isn`t the best way to make money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: