Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a question for bnix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: a question for bnix Reply with quote

Hey,
I noticed that you had a post in the Lithuania section of the job info journal. I have an opportunity to go to Kaunus this coming fall for about three months assisting teachers in high schools ect. I was just wondering, assuming that you have lived there, if you could fill me in on some general information about life over there. I posted this under Poland becuase I see that you are an active poster here. Any info would be appreciated.
thanks,
peder
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Information on Lithuania for Peder Reply with quote

Yes,I lived and taught in Panevezys,Lithuania for a year.It is the fifth largest city.Not one of the prettiest places in Lithuania,but interesting,anyway.
Kaunas,Lithuania's second city,is interesting,but not as vibrant as Vilnius.During the period of Lithuanian independence,between the two World Wars,Kaunas was the capital,since the Poles decided to help themselves to Vilnius,marched into Vilnius, and "annexed" it.

I will try to give you some general information.If you have other questions,let me know.

1.Weather.The fall is not bad.Of course,it really gets cold in the winter.Take heavy clothing.Most Lithuanian buses are unheated.

2.You can get most consumer goods in any of the cities like Kaunas ,Vilnius,Klaipeda.Once you get out to the smaller towns,it is more difficult to find things.

3.Of course,you will be able to visit Vilnius,a great city,full of interesting things.Also,do not miss Klaipeda and the Courland Spit,Nida,etc.all on the western coast.

4.You will also be able to visit the other Baltics,Latvia and Estonia.See as much as you can.Their capitals,Riga and Tallinn, are also great.

5.Of course, you know that you will not make much money while teaching there,although I do not know your specific arrangement.Usually the salary is enough to live on and travel a bit.

If there are any other,more specfic questions,let me know.Have a great time!!
peder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. The program that I will be participating in is through my university, (still an undergraduate) so I won't make any money but I get free room and board and 12 credits, not to mention classroom experience. So it is a pretty good deal. I have been infactuated with eastern europe ever since I travelled through the region last spring. Never got the chance to visit any of the Baltic countries so I am excited to do so. THanks again for the information.
peder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: