Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making enough money to live in Santiago Chile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolkat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Making enough money to live in Santiago Chile Reply with quote

HI!
I am new to Dave's ESL cafe and I plan to go to Santiago in September. I wanted to know how hard or easy (with a proactive attitude of course) it is to get enough money to live on each month. Does anyone have any suggestions? please let me know! I would love to hear! Thanks!
evansmith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it a little difficult, especially at first, and my savings took a pretty big hit. But it is very possible to make plenty to live and have a great time on. I would suggest working as much as you can stand with different people and institutes. The longer you are there, the more contacts you will build and the more lucrative your classes will become. Also, finding a good, cheap place to live is KEY. I paid too much for at least the first six months I was in Stgo and lived to regret it. I would say that anything over 100K chilean a month is probably too much. Although 100 with everything included is doable. Good luck and have fun.
koolkat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: THANKS!!!! Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply!! I really appreciate hearing your experience! I have wanted to do this since I was about 16 (I'm 25 now)..so I'll be in Santiago in mid September. I hope to meet anyone who is down there at that time Cool
KAT
Tio-Oso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi kat.

I don't know if you have read the other posts, but I will be in Chile in August, and have quite a few friends there. I would be happy to share them with you. I also have a fiance there who is amazing and great to hand out with.

I am strongly considering teaching at Sam's in spite of the nasty rumors. I am afraid Ido not have the credentials to enjoy the pick of the litter when it comes to jobs. it is experience, at least.

My name is Matt by the way. Tio Oso (Uncle Bear) is what the kids in Chile have adopted me as...cute, huh?
koolkat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: HI Tio Oso! Reply with quote

Hi Tio Oso (aka Matt),

I think your nickname is great!! I would love to meet you and your girlfriend! It is so kind of you to be willing to introduce me to your friends when I get down there. I already feel like the connections are beginning!!!
Thanks for your generosity and I look forward to meeting you when I am there!!

Kat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: