Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti western feeling on the rise in Bahrain/Dubai/UAE?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redafiya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Anti western feeling on the rise in Bahrain/Dubai/UAE? Reply with quote

This is a brief query re. "blowback" from the Iraq war -- In England ( where I am currently ) there is very powerful and rising tension between the Muslim communities and the indigineous white/christian/asian hindu/jamaican UK residents....and yes, it was heating up for a few years before the Islamic suicide bombers hit the London subways....

So my query is -- if relations here in UK are burning up, tense due to Tony Blair's support of the war on Iraq, and his percieved "anti Islamic" crusade -- how is it in specifically, UAE, Dubai and Bahrain? ( Note, I am asking about these locations specifically, becuase they have long been namechecked as being peaceful and moderate and free from anti western rhetoric -- I am fully aware of the anti western attacks in Saudi compounds, Qatar theatres etc, so i wonder if its spread.... )

Thanks very much for your insights/comments/advice. Personally, I was against the bombing of Iraq and have known Muslims as students and friends for around 20 years,and enjoyed their friendsdhip..... and whilst I certainly do not condone the Islamic violent response -- I do understand it. It's hard for me to imagine that UAE/Bahrain/Dubai would be totally safe and free from anti western attacks in the present political climate -- but i dont know. Please advise.

Redafiya.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that anyone who wishes to respond do so on the General Middle East section...

VS
moonraven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been in Bahrain for a few days so of course am prepared to have my perceptions poo-poohed by longtimers on this board.

This does not appear to me to be a hotbed of Islamic militancy, however. What passes for political protest here seems largely to be of the against the monarchy sort. And wages are a hot issue, too. Apparently.

I have the habit of talking to people in the street (yes, even in 105 degrees)--and those folks seem very friendly. They are locals--neither mad dogs, nor Englishmen.

Mostly what I hear here is anti-Saudi feeling. I heard that in Jordan, as well--where the Saudis were routinely blamed for everything from traffic accidents to dust storms to high prices (when they weren't blaming Iraqis for those).
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. I never met any locals in Bahrain, having only spent the odd weekend there. I only met expats and Saudis 'visiting the museum' But most arabs I met/taught were very pro-saudi due to the fact they had saudi relatives.
moonraven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When King Fahd died, I was in Jordan--where a lot of anti-Saudi feeling came out of the woodwork. The new ruler's illiteracy was a big topic--which led to discussions of the reactionary nature of much of the region.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so long timers, what do you think? are non saudi arabs pro or anti Saudi? (of course this will be a stereotype.) OOPS, I have cursed this thread by mentioning the S word. It will be locked. Wink
redafiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insights and advice -- keep 'em coming. I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: