Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oman- Walk in possibilities?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Am I wasting my time?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

lawsteveunfortunately

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Oman- Walk in possibilities? Reply with quote

My partner has been offered a teaching job in Muscat or Nizwah (her choice), but I haven't because of my law degree (Hence the username). I have 2 years teaching experience in Taiwan and Latvia and a TEFL degree. Would I be wasting my time going to Oman on spec and seeking a job there? I can live in my partners flat, so I would just be investing my flight. I'd greatly appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks,

Steve.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a "tefl degree" - what is that? Do you mean CELTA or some other cert? They are not 'degrees.' So, you have limited credentials and experience. The co-habitation situation is another legal problem. (for your lawyer persona) In these conservative Muslim countries, co-habitating is illegal - not always pursued in the case of expats, but this is not without risk.

If she chooses Nizwa, your chances of finding some part time work are probably nil. And since this is a small town and living together without a marriage certificate is illegal, you would be risking deportation for both of you. Worst case... jail.

In Muscat, being a larger city, you might be able to pick up some part time work. And you would be more likely to get away with living together. But, her employer could make problems for you - if they wanted to.

There are couples who live together, but they carefully maintain the facade of not doing so. Both will have individual flats provided by their individual employers. Another factor that helps to avoid problems is that both are... err... pale-skinned Westerners, shall we say. Mixed races draw unwanted attention.

Another problem is that you would need a visa to stay. Tourist visas are time limited and Oman is a stickler for following laws. Getting a job with a contract and a work visa could be difficult for you with your credentials, and just showing up in Oman and finding one is highly unlikely. Local hires are expected to already HAVE a residence visa through their spouse.

VS
lawsteveunfortunately

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your answer. We're going to look elsewhere. Incidentally, 'tefl degree' was a mistake. I meant TEFL certificate. Some English teacher I am. Thanks again, veiled sentiments.
Wander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is (was?) a widely held belief in the U.A.E. that the authorities don't go looking for problems but if they are confronted with a problem then they will deal with it thoroughly. A colleague of mine ran into such a problem. His girlfriend came out for a holiday and the following morning was found to have died of a brain aneurysm during the night. Dreadful situation. The police were called and his girlfriend was examined. She was found to have died of natural causes. Unfortunately, the man had only been living in Dubai for a few months and this was not long enough to get a liquor license. Liquor is (was?) available for take-out without a license from back rooms of some hotels and the man had acquired liquor in this way. He was arrested and charged with possessing liquor without a license and living with a woman to whom he was not married. He spent about six weeks in prison (an appalling place with many men in small cells where 'rape' was a daily occurrence for the weak but not for my colleague). Finally, charges were dropped and he left on the first available plane. His case made some western newspapers.

It's very easy to be nonchalant about breaking the law and many people get away with it but always remember that if something can happen then sooner or later it will happen to someone!

VS, regarding your statement:

veiledsentiments wrote:
Local hires are expected to already HAVE a residence visa through their spouse.

The 'spouse sponsorship' visa is actually a 'Family Joining and Family Residence Visa' and the ROP specifically state that:

ROP wrote:
A person who is in Oman with a family or family joining visa has no right at tall [sic] to work with or without pay.

http://www.rop.gov.om/services_passport4.asp#Family

I conclude, therefore, that, although I shall be entering Oman on my husband's sponsorship, for me to work legally I would need to gain sponsorship from a government department or a private company. Since I don't have a degree (but I do have a TEFL certificate plus TEFL experience from work in Dubai), I know that the government won't sponsor me and I think this also applies to private companies. In short: no degree, no teaching. This restriction didn't apply in Dubai in the mid-90s and I taught there legally.

Some people have suggested that I provide private tuition but, since my husband and I want to spend many years in Oman, it doesn't seem like a healthy thing to do. As I said, if something can happen then sooner or later it will.

I've considered establishing a business with an Omani, probably in some sort of English teaching or training role but I'm not sure about the legality of this too!

Wander
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved this... "has no right at tall [sic]"

Yes Wander, your new employer would have to arrange the work visa, but it is not uncommon. In fact, it is done all the time. It is certainly cheaper for them to do that with you than to bring someone in.

There are always the private lessons to fall back on, and they do allow you much freedom to be able to match your leave times with your spouse. (not sure why you consider them 'unhealthy') I've always quite enjoyed one on one lessons.

VS
(shocking story about your colleague and good that it gets around. While many have got away with all sorts of 'illegal' activities in the Gulf... if caught the punishments are not pleasant...)
Wander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the strictures of the 'Family Joining and Family Residence Visa' I surmised that home tutoring would be illegal for me. Given the atrocious conditions in Gulf prisons, I concluded that tutoring would be unhealthy for me. Q.E.D., V.S. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. There has never been any teacher bothered who was giving private lessons. I don't think that they even consider it to be 'working.' Feel free... really... this is a non-issue...

In fact never in any Middle East country have I ever heard the slightest hint of a problem concerning this. Everyone thinks this is a GOOD thing. (and almost ALL people who are doing privates are in breach of their contracts which forbid taking on second jobs...)

It is totally more unhealthy sitting home doing nothing and being bored and grumpy with everyone... Laughing

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: