Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How/where to get TEFL Certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFLtrainer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Requesting clarity Reply with quote

KTCAMP wrote:
EFLtrainer, I just read and re-read your post and I'm not sure I understand your point. First, are you saying that you were the Academic Director of Instituto Britanico? Or a different institute? The current director of the English program at IB is a highly compentent teacher trainer as was her predecessor.

I'm also not sure why you're quoting me. In this discourse, my goal is only to get the word out about a solid, reliable teacher training course at IB, not to compare to another program I don't know anything about. Quality does vary quite drastically among teacher training courses and people interested in taking these courses should do their research ahead of time.

Sorry, I wasn�t clear. I was first responding to the parts of the thread about TESOl courses being demanding. Your description of the CELTA course and those I have heard from others are consistent� during the course you essentially only have time for the course; it's not a semi-vacation. I was contrasting the CELTA and the TEFL International TESOL courses, particularly in the time since I stopped working for TEFL in Costa Rica.
EFLtrainer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillnosheep wrote:
To be honest the CELTA is not so much difficult as intense.

I like this distinction as the information is not difficult, but applying it effectively, creatively, consistently and in a professional manner is difficult.
Cdaniels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: EFLTrainer Reply with quote

I was looking forward to reading your "life as tefl trainer" from the geocities link in your sig, but it is no longer available!
EFLtrainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: EFLTrainer Reply with quote

Cdaniels wrote:
I was looking forward to reading your "life as tefl trainer" from the geocities link in your sig, but it is no longer available!

They are sort of hidden at the moment as I was in negotiations with my former employer. However, there has been no movement in that regard for two days and the site will be active again as of Friday afternoon central time in the US if the situation remains static.
woodersn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then, I have finished the course at TEFL Intl., and as per a previous post up the thread, I promised I'd let you lot (or maybe just Musica) know a little about it.

The class is 4 weeks. For the majority of the first two, we covered mostly theory. Beginning your 3rd week, you start teaching everyday, and do so until the course completion. As an earlier post made the point of differentiating, intense does not necessarily translate into difficult. I would say this course is intense. It's not necessarily hard work, but you do have to spend a lot of time doing it.

I certainly feel I know a lot more about teaching than when I started. Previously I'd only had a few weeks of volunteer work in, and that was following out of donated textbooks. I can't speak for other courses, but I think you'd do well at TEFL. Most of my classmates had/have jobs lined up before the completion of the course... the final decision, of course, is up to you.

As for me... I think I'm gonna just hang out for a while....

Brandon

also I suspect CathyM was one of my classmates, maybe she can offer you another opinion if u so desire....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: