Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Textbook publishing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Textbook publishing? Reply with quote

I've been contacted by an Ann Chan of Longman publishing (yes, THAT Longman) based in HK asking if I'd be interested in textbook editing and publishing. Shocked Why she asked me I'm not exactly sure as I wasn't applying for anything like that, and I don't think my experience and qualifications are quite up to par for a job such as that. I did make it known what my exp and quals were, however. Has anyone had any experience in an endeavor like this?
Paul G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth:

I may be wrong but I seem to recall someone from Japan writing about their experiences with publishing some time back. You might want to post this on the Japan or General Discussion forum.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange coincidence - I do think I had some dealings with the same lady from Cambridge Hong Kong, though for a different reason, initiated by me.

I would not turn down such an opportunity, but I would make sure they would remunerate me reasonably well.

The name is quite misleading, though! It is a prestigous moniker but has nothing to do with Cambridge as such and its university.

Cambridge have of late become a major supplier of textbooks to Chinese schools. I have used their CAMBRIDGE YOUNG LEARNERS ENGLISH series, which I consider a typical Chinese product (it is printed in Xi'an by Xinzhitang Co.). The visuals are uninspiring and have obviously been done by a Chinese person. There is a foreword by one Michael Halstead whose name is reprinted as 'Michale (sic!) Halstead'.
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Cambridge books also, I'm on the grotesque pink one now. I've also used the Longman 'Look ahead' series with training center students, as well as the books for junior and senior middle school. They seem to be just random sentences with funny pictures, and the students just memorize the sentences on order of the principal (whose only qualification being that he's the cousin of the owner). They also have a strange preoccupation with the phrase 'I like sausages.' I see it in every book! However, every book I've seen by Longman has been British English, maybe they want to start a N. American English series?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: