Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tell me, PLEASE...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

It is wise to suggest that newbies need to be certified.
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 28 ]
No
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
WHAT? Who the heck do you think you are?!
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

Linda L.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no substitute for basic knowledge!

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him/her drink." But you should know that he/she can not kick with his/her front legs so at least know the front from the back and stay away from the back. Also, take some salt with you and salt his/her mouth. Then he/she will want to drink!
dyak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to answer the original question...

Yes I would suggest newbies get certified, in the same way that I'd suggest driving lessons before driving a car... especially if you've grown up with and/or practice the 'chalk and talk' method of teaching because that it ain't.

Cheers.
Celeste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHen I first started teaching, I had no experience and no certification. I went armed with a few kilograms of books recommended by an ESL teacher friend of my mother. Thank god I had the books, because I was really thrown in the deep end. I was supposed to be team teaching at a highschool in Korea, but one of the English teachers was off on maternity leave when I arrived, so they decided that I would just fill in for her! I wish I'd taken some kind of training before I went.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered an affirmative "yes" to this poll, BUT I want to stress that it was important for ME to take the course at the University. Prior to taking it, I too, was of the opinion that "hey, I can speak it, therefore, I can teach it." Now, I know differently, I needed the course. However, there was one girl in the class (there were 15 of us) that really didn't need it. She is of that rare breed that can teach a cat to bark. My sister is cut from the same cloth. Some people just have a natural (or is it unnatural) ability to teach ANYTHING. Casey, my sister, graduated both Princeton and Harvard, which filled her head with all the technical knowledge she now imparts to others. However, when we were little she was the one we all went to (teachers included) to guide and help us.
ellenjane10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: ESL Training Poll Reply with quote

Thanks to C76 for posting this thread! I welcome the opportunity to vote and show that I believe that ESL training is very important. Of the 557 hits, only 27 people have voted. What's the problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: