Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

email: websites/links to schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: email: websites/links to schools Reply with quote

I just got an email from someone asking if I had any links to schools, whether a certificate was necessary, etc. I sat down to reply, and *POOF*, message deleted. Oooops!

If you happen to be the sender, and you happen to be reading this, then here is my reply:

First--sorry for accidentally deleting your message!

Second--I don't know of any websites with links/schools. I went through ITC (whose website is something like www.itc-training.com) to get my TEFL certificate, and I found a school through them.

Certificates are not absolutely required--there was at least one person in my school who did not have one. He did, though, have prior teaching experience. Personally, I would highly recommend a certificate, not only to make yourself more competitive in the job market, but also so you understand what you're getting yourself into.

Sorry I don't have any specific info for you!

d
caesar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only you'd read this before you got your "International TEFL Certificate"
http://eflplanet.com/tefl/certification/index.html

http://eflplanet.com/tefl/certification/certificates.html

Let the buyer beware.
denise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caesar, I don't know whether you're trying to be helpful or trash my TEFL program. Either way, ITC is not an online or correspondence course, and it certainly did not cost under $100. Sure, it was a bit rushed, as there is a limit to how much you can cram into 100 or so hours, but that certificate + my teaching experience + my MA (yes, I admit it was highly theoretical, but I am much more oriented towards teaching than towards research) = me feeling fairly confident that I know what I'm doing.

But anyway, thank you for the link. I know there are dodgy programs out there. ITC served me well, so from my own personal experience (and I know that experiences will vary...), I can recommend it. Sorry to get so defensive, but, as I said, I couldn't tell what your tone was.

d
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Another link Reply with quote

Here's another link. However, it's in Czech:

http://www.upol.cz/
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ITC cert too, and mine is even older than Denise's - from 1998. The program has gone thru some ups and downs, but it's still generally recognized as acceptable in the Czech Republic and surrounding countries. I think that those native speakers wishing to teach these days really have to have some kind of certification, and experience is always a plus. It's pretty difficult these days to get a job without some kind of specialized training.
Hamett

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the warning posts about ITC and TEFLWORLDWIDE on expats.cz!
Very SHADY indeed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: