Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances of finding work and how to go about it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Chances of finding work and how to go about it Reply with quote

My youngest children are about to fly the coup and head off to university so I've decided the time has come for a career change. At present I am the head of the ESOL department in a school in NZ. I have a BA in English and History, a diploma in secondary teaching, a CELTA and many years as both a mainstream English and ESOL teacher. My question is: What are my chances of getting a job in a government or international school (or something else quite well paid) and how do I go about it? I'm not prepared to leave the security of a good job here without something to go to. Also, as a woman in her late 40's would prospective employees be prejudiced against me? I'd really appreciate any information that people can give me.
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure whether you would find a nest in an international school in Hong Kong (pay is good but requirements are high); your best bet would be one of the NET programmes, or possibly, the ESF schools - the latter for teaching history.
Christine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Roger. How do I apply for a NET programme? Do they advertise at any particular time of the year and how long does the process take if I should be lucky enough to get accepted? Any input really welcome.
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you try for the NET scheme (Deadline will probably be in Dec.) 03 for 04 intake. And, use Int. schools for a back-up. They usually hire in April. Get everything organized now. ie: research all schools mailing address, resume, labeling, ect.

Hong Kong loves qualified experienced people like yourself. Good luck
Christine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: chances of work in Hong Kong Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Freddie. Does the Net programme have a website that you can apply to? I have seen an advertisement in a newspaper here in NZ but unfortunately it wasn't my local one. Thanks again for any imput
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: