Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats a fair price?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
expatben

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Whats a fair price? Reply with quote

I am tying to break into private tutoring, teaching the Poles in my community, maybe even the Asians in the city. My question is, for a qualified ESL teacher with classroom experience, what is a fair price? I was thinking 7 pounds per hour
Any thoughts are welcome
Expat
dyak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

�7??????

Nooooo. I would start at �20 - 25 an hour. More if it's something specific like lingustics or tutoring. If you teach kids do it separately. I mean, if a family has 2 or 3 kids they'll want you to teach them all together for �15 an hour. It's a waste of time, teach them separately and charge them separately. Don't be afraid to ask for what you're worth.
SandyM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, are you crackers? My brother employs a gardener, and pays him more than 7 quid an hour, so get a grip, man!

Start at around 20, and take things from there. If you feel this is too much, check out some of the local tutoring agencies. I bet you'll find their rates are not below 20 quid per hour.

Sandy
dyak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I'd do for �7 an hour is a 'metro lesson'.
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach privately (not in London) and charge �25 an hour at the offices of the person concerned. He (and his company) considers it good value, and if I had more experience teaching 1-2-1 I'd probably try for more.

I might charge lower for a more local and less affluent market, but if you spend any time at all in preparing or getting to the teaching site you'll be paying yourself less than minimum wage. Don't forget your tax and NI and other expenses too.
Will.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest finding Poles who are willing to pay you for lessons they can get for free at any local college delivering ESOL.
Those who are willing to will be in the earning bracket to afford 20-25 an hour and probably at a level in English that is more ESP than EFL.
you will earn good money, but you will also work for it.
the same will be true for anyone you teach. those prepared to pay the right price have expectations and will want their money's worth.
As college lecturer my college price was �47 an hour, and there were those who paid this. University lecturer's pay is �34 an hour. Why charge less for private lessons when yu get this much at work. You can work out your worth from this scale. charge too much lose clients. give crap lessons...same outcome. it is a trial and error game with new students once hooked you have to land the long term contract of more than a few hours a week for a year.
BELS

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tying to break into private tutoring, teaching the Poles in my community, maybe even the Asians in the city. My question is, for a qualified ESL teacher with classroom experience, what is a fair price? I was thinking 7 pounds per hour
Any thoughts are welcome
Expat

Perhaps Expat means is teaching a class of students, about ten per class ? I would then consider the fee of �7.00 per academic hour quite reasonable. Perhaps rent a classroom in a school, college or office block?

By the way, Expat from what? What Nationality are you ?

My wife and I are doing something similar in Moscow, and we are planning some sort of link with opening a small school in UK.

Why stop at Poles or Asians? You have the whole world wanting to come to the source of the English language. The UK.

Any contribution of discussion and your experiences from private self employed teachers in UK would be most welcome
SueH

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bels,

I suggest you re-read Will's post. As members of the EU Poles can get free or very cheap tuition at local FE colleges. The ones I teach would not, in any case, find it easy to afford even �7 an hour.
BELS

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said , why stop at Poles,maybe there are no Poles in private EFL schools, if you advertise, would you specifically ask for one nationality , No you take whatever the demand is. The UK is the centre of the world for the English language.
BELS

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea, nobody gets education on the cheap, there has to be a subsidy from the government somewhere. Perhaps a private teacher or a small efl school can make the relevant contact and receive these fees? Perhaps a goverment tender ?
Will.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right BELS.

This year �250 million is being spent on ESOL lessons for people who need them. All from the government.
All the colleges want a piece of the action and so do the language schools so there are precious few students left to tutor privately as the language schools who are left are offering silly hours for less than we can live on an hour.
BELS

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, can one self-employed teacher , or a group of EFL teachers apply to the specific government address, not sure where it is at the moment , Maybe check with the DTI for contacts?

And perhaps registering, to claim the benefits from the goverment of any qualified students. And then perhaps rent a classroom convenient to those qualified students? Perhaps Downtown , close to their assumed residence?

Maybe their is a list that the appropriate government provides to these students, and just maybe the large colleges may not have the advantage. We are all equal, large or small.
expatben

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. After a breif stint around I am ready to try teaching privatly in the UK.
To answer a question asked I am an expat Canadian whi has a British passport.
I am still wondering about price...
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, if you don't mind saying, where are you?
expatben

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all- I am in the UK but I am from Canada hence the expat part of my name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: