Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nov. 17th 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmy44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Nov. 17th 2005 Reply with quote

Attn: Guy or anyone else

My plane arrives in SJO on Nov. 17th. I am a certified teacher from the States looking to teach. Either way, I am there for a year. If I can't find a teaching job, I will invest into a TEFL course. Until I find a place to settle, I am heading to the Pacific Coast. Any names or numbers of contacts would be appreciated. I have a portfolio that can be accessed through internet, should I bring a hard copy? I am a bit nervous because I have a month left teaching in Chicago and have not talked to anybody I know in C.R. Thanks again and take it easy.
eli.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: End of the year in C.R. Reply with quote

Good luck with wrapping things up in the States. One thing you should keep in mind if coming here in mid November - there is a lull in work availability around Christmas/New Year's as a lot of your potential students will be taking time off for THEIR summer vacations. It's also a time when a lot of teachers head home for a few weeks, so there is a chance you'll find work, but don't expect too much until mid January.
From what I hear there is a little work outside of the Central Valley, but you'll have to do a lot of leg work to find it. And sorry, I don't have any actual contacts, but I do know of one language institute with English classes in Samara - Intercultura (they also teach Spanish to foreigners).
As far as a hard copy of your credentials - as far as I've seen, nobody's looking. But you'll want copies of your resume, as many of your potential employers won't have consistent internet access.
doreenp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: arriving nov. 17th Reply with quote

Eli is right, Summer holidays here start mid December and go thru mid January so you won�t be able to do much job hunting then, unless your interested in language agencies who provide teachers to businesses.

The central valley is where you�ll find the jobs and the cost and time of a bus ride to the beach is so minimal, you�ll find it easy to go every weekend. It�s about 2 hours to Jaco and costs about 3 bucks u.s. , then 5 hours to Puerto Viejo for about 5 or 6 bucks. both have great surfing and beaches with different cultures on each coast.

good luck
cheers
d
tesolitis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Sa Jose beach trip Reply with quote

Many time when someone mentiones a place / town in CR I can't find it on the map.

Quote:
Jaco and costs about 3 bucks u.s. , then 5 hours to Puerto Viejo

I checked
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&searchtype=address&addtohistory=&country=CR&location=n2NnfA9Q%2bIjis3ToloXAZeoAo68ttk0RJFeepK7OoWDmMWHK9q4gl33T1yrnb7T1JEMcMkpvMrw%3d

Any more about the beaches?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: