Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

salary & qualifications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: salary & qualifications Reply with quote

I am a certified(BA) high school teacher (2 yrs experience) in the US and I have just recieved my ESL endorsement/cerification. Can anyone please tell me if someone with my qualifications typically gets a higher salary in Taiwan then someone without an education degree and ESL certification? Also, how much should I expect to earn, roughly?
Thank you
Okami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: They don't discriminate Reply with quote

A complete novice can fall off the boat and make more/same than/as you. You'll be able to get the better jobs though as far as pay a lot easier, but you have to find them. I would suggest applying at the international schools as they have a very good reputation and want qulaified people.

Most laobans(bosses) don't check your papers unless it's a university. They mostly want a warm body and white face. Ugly but mostly true. Good luck with your search.

Okami
eslintaiwan2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew,

You might want to consider private schools as well. The pay seems to be on the higher end of the scale. Unless you want to be dissapointed with educational standards you would want to stay away from the bushibans. You are too qualified for those places and would do better at an international school or a private high school.

Good Luck.
ScottSommers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Taiwan and Qualifications Reply with quote

Taiwan is not a very rewarding experience for teachers who hope their education and TESOL qualifications can translate into higher pay or better conditions. Outside of faculty positions at post-secondary institutions, the market is filled with fraudulant claims of educational attainment. Companies will advertise that they want TESOL-qualiifed people, but will infact settle for anyone who can speak reasonably good English. As one the owner of a bushiban in which I once worked put it, "All my teachers say that they have edgrees, but I think at least half of them are lying."

Taiwan can be a great place to live, but professionally, it can be a very frustrating place.

Scott Sommers
Ming Chuan University
[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: