Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

paying taxes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: paying taxes Reply with quote

hi there,

I�m looking at a job which is located in several southern towns. The pay is 1800 zloty, which seems low compared to what I have read, but they said this was after the 19% tax. I calculate that brings the salary to approx. 2200+ a month. Are most of the salaries quoted here given before tax? Is this a reasonable salary given that I will live in a town?

Also, do I get this tax back once I leave Poland? And also, Is this it true I need to pay tax at all or this much, or is this school just trying to scam me.

Thanks in advance for any info. The job seems to be quite professional, but I don�t want to get scammed.

Thanks!!
bnix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Please Clarify Reply with quote

Okay.I am not in Poland right now.But I did teach there (in 2000).
When you say you will be teaching in several southern Polish towns,exactly what do you mean?They will expect you to travel around or what?It would help if you could tell us the name of the school.Are they going to pay the housing for you?That is an important point.What makes you think they are professional?Please be more specific.
The 19 percent you mention as deductions from your pay might not all be tax...part of it might be for health insurance and other deductions.If you clear 1800 a month and they provide the housing,it is probably about average.Not wonderful.Not horrible.Have you ever taught in Poland before?You should ask them for names and contact info from former teachers so you can check with them concerning the school.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong as usual bnix. The tax basis foreigners are employed on here means they do not have to pay health contributions (actually it's ZUS which covers much more than just health). They must pay a flat tax of 20% but in the first two years that is 5% deductable so they pay 19%. After the second full tax year it is 20% deductable so we pay 16%. Some schools even say 50% of the tax can be a deductable thus leaving only 10% tax to pay but the legal advice I've had says that is only true for irregular bonus payments and not a monthly wage.

One more piece of advice: never have a landlord who is also your boss. That way you don't have to look for a new flat on the same day as a new job if your boss treats you badly.
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Ask Alex Reply with quote

Just ask Alex...he is the Guru of Poland(self-appointed). Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or ask bnix. The man was here for a few months a few years ago. He couldn't make it here and is still bitter about the experience. The school he worked for told him the polite version of "don't bother coming back next year" (actually they told him that he'd need to pay for his own trip back to the USA to get his visa processed, the reality was that he could have got his paperwork done in the nearest big town's foreigners office but for some reason his school didn't want him knowing that!)
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: To the "Guru"...Alex Reply with quote

My.my Alex is one SMART Laughing Laughing guy! Not only is he the Guru of Poland,but he claims to know that I was only in Poland for"a few months"Sorry,but how do you "know" these things,"Guru"?.In addition to your other "powers",are you also psychic?How do you know about my school?My.my you are one SMART guy."Guru"
Actually,hate to disappoint you,but I was tyhere for longer than "a few months",and I left precisely because I did not want to go back to the US to renew the visa,even though this might not mesh with your "expert" opinions on visa renewal.
Alex,do you use a crystal ball,read tea leafs,tarot cards ,or what?How do you get all of this "information' you think you know about me? Laughing Laughing Laughing
This field(TESOL) is awash with so-called self-styled "experts" who think they have got it down all pat.If you refer to my original post,I never claimed to be an"expert' or a "guru".I know better than to make claims like that.You,on the other hand... Laughing Laughing Laughing
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Yes.Tea Leaves Reply with quote

Not leafs.But maybe he could have foreseen that I would make a typo. Laughing
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: To the "Guru"...Alex Reply with quote

bnix wrote:
he claims to know that I was only in Poland for"a few months"Sorry,but how do you "know" these things,"Guru"?.In addition to your other "powers",are you also psychic?How do you know about my school?My.my you are one SMART guy."Guru"
Actually,hate to disappoint you,but I was tyhere for longer than "a few months",and I left precisely because I did not want to go back to the US to renew the visa,even though this might not mesh with your "expert" opinions on visa renewal.

Even you don't know when you were in Poland. In this thread you claim it was 2000, in another thread http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=1501 you say it was 1998-1999 but you were only here for what, 10 months? Lucky for us who live here that you didn't manage to find out anything worth knowing. Going back the USA to get your visa renewed! What a crock of sh*t! I have renewals in my passport from 1996, 1997, 1998 and then from 1999 I've been on the two year temporary residents card (which are now compulsory after 6 months). Face bnix you got canned by the school and they didn't want to risk your reaction so they just relied on your ignorance to make their life easy. End of story.
bnix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Alex,You Know...Not Much Reply with quote

No,I did not get CANNED.(The idea of getting "canned" in Poland is a little humerous anyway,since the money does not amount to much).Alex has been looking in his crystal ball again,or playing with his Tarot cards,or tea leaves,or something,again. Laughing And he may not know it,but he is flirting awfully close to libel,although the idea of suing a TESOL teacher(ANY TESOL teacher) for ANYTHING is also absurd,since most do not have any money anyway. Laughing
He seems to be just a meanspirited guy who jumped on an innocent little post in which I stated explicitly that I could very well be wrong on some of the details.Oh.well,there are ALL kinds in this business,and he certainly proves it. Either that,or he is just looking to start up an argument out of nothing.What is that called ?trolling?
Anyway,Alex,if you want to be THE EXPERT,that is fine with me.I never claimed to be the expert.I do not claim to know things about complete strangers which I could not possibly know, either.You must be QUITE the guy...expert,a writer,psychic.
Anyway,enough of this.I have wasted enough time on you.Good luck in your reign as EXPERT.Maybe you can even get them to fix you up a throne or something.... Laughing Laughing This is finis as far as I am concerned .I have better things to do.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Alex,You Know...Not Much Reply with quote

bnix wrote:
the money does not amount to much).

The money here is actually quite good if you know where to look. I've paid for my flat right in the center of Warsaw in four and a half years. It's now 100% paid for. Try that in other European countries. Just because you got paid peanuts 5 years ago doesn't mean that it's normal here now.

Today it's 32 degrees so I'm off to take the new BMW for a quick trip down to Kazimierz Dolny (lovely little place by the river with a nice castle) and then supper at the Boathouse restaurant in Warsaw. Enjoy your overpriced bowl of noodles bnix!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: