Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie to HK....couple of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Newbie to HK....couple of questions Reply with quote

I apologize in advance to all those who may be offended by a non-teaching related post.

I leave tomorrow for HK!!! Laughing
Am way happy...but then the panic sets in....a new country....YIKES!

So, I am asking the wonderful people of the ESL forum for a little help anout some house-setting-up tips.

1) Phones. Who is the best? Home phone or cell or both?
2) Computers - Where to get a new one?
3) Banks - Which is the best one?
4) Books - may need resources as well as books for me to read. Libraries? Easy enough to get a card? Do I need the HK Id card first? Good bookstores?
5) TV's etc.... -Good/Cheap places to find one?

Again, sorry this is not employment/teaching related...Sort of emlpoyment though, since it is because of my employment with NET that I need this information.

Thanks again.
See you all in HK!!!! Smile
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2 and 3

In the Star Ferry building, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, is a whole floor od computershops.

The HSBC will take 5000 to join, Hang Seng Bank needs a reference

TV Go to Fortress shops(orange Facades) they have pricetags on their goods;no haggling
kerohaha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie to HK....couple of questions Reply with quote

1) Phones. Who is the best? Home phone or cell or both?

CELL PHONE IS PROBABLY ENOUGH (if you live on your own) AND IS ALSO INCREDIBLY CHEAP. Try the "ORANGE" MOBILE SERVICE.

2) Computers - Where to get a new one?

The COMPUTER area in HK is at the GOLDEN MALL in Shum Shui Po (It has an MTR station) or conveniently at any "FORTRESS" electronic store location around Hong Kong. But computers at Fortress MAY be sold at a higher price.

3) Banks - Which is the best one?

HENG SENG BANK or HSBC (Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation)

4) Books - may need resources as well as books for me to read. Libraries? Easy enough to get a card? Do I need the HK Id card first? Good bookstores?

The 2 main Chinese bookstores are "COMMERCIAL PRESS Bookstore" and "Alliance bookstore" and have shops around Hong Kong. The English bookstores are "Page One" (have several locations too, one being in the TIME SQUARE in Causeway Bay). and the best Library is the one at HONG KONG UNIVERSITY. I have to admit that it's by the far the BEST library I have ever encountered. However you need to be a member to enter the library. Do you happen to know somebody affiliated with HKU?

5) TV's etc.... -Good/Cheap places to find one?

Again at FORTRESS electronic store or at any electronic store should be alright.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second-hand computers and appliances:
The South China Morning Post runs a TRADE POST adverts section on, I believe, Saturday or Sunday. Usually good buys, but you need to be quick.

For books I strongly recommend FLOW second-hand bookstore in COchrane Street, Central, just below the travelator. New English books at SWINDON bookstore in Tsimshatsui (two shops).
monty97

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Re. phones, if you want the internet at home you will have to get a landline with PCCW. Their line rental is $330 for 3 months. Local calls are free and calls to the UK have cost me between 19 and 38 cents per minute. You could always use the internet at your school. A good place to access free internet is the business centre in the Exhibition and Convention Centre in Wan Chai.

Re. electrical applicances/househols goods. I bought my computer/TV/hi-fi etc from expats who were leaving HK. Check out the classifieds on www.asiaxpat.com.hk. Also as Roger says, there are ads in Sunday's edition of the South China Morning Post. For value new furniture try Pricerite, like the UK's MFI.

Local libraries are good (not for teaching resource books though) but you need your ID card to join. Try paddyfield.com for teaching books.

As for banks, HSBC is the popular choice.

Where are your schools? Are you are a primary or secondary NET? I'm from UK and have been a PNET in Tuen Mun for the last year. There's going to be a social evening at the Mariner's Club, Middle Road, TST on Friday 22 August from 7pm for all NETs. May see you there.

Welcome to HK.
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents

Mobiles: If you haven't got a hand set. Go to Sham SHui Po market, and get a 2nd hand set. I just got a Sony Erricson for a replacement hand set last week, $440.

Mobile providers: I am currently with Sunday. about $78 HK a month for 700 mins.

Do you need a fixed line, well maybe, always useful for broadband Internet.

Computers: Either the Wan CHi computer Center or the Golden SHopping arcade in Sham Shui Po. New computer systems from $1800 to $4000. New laptops, STAMP brand; 1.8 Ghz from $6000 HK.

Banks, HKSC is the largest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: