Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New girl on the block has some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amanda Williams

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: New girl on the block has some questions Reply with quote

Hello to anyone who is now teaching in Indonesia. I have been teaching in China and Thailand for the last eighteen months, and I am now considering a job offer in Indonesia. I have a couple of questions, and I hope that someone will be able to throw some crumbs of information my way.

First, is it safe? Do you, personally, feel safe, as someone who lives and works there? Please tell me any good or bad experiences you have had, so that I can make an informed decision. (My mum is worried - and I am too, a little.)

Second, is it woman-friendly? Is the general vibe hostile or respectful to women? Is the 'foreigner scene' geared towards male expats of a certain kind, as in Thailand? (Can you buy Tampax???)

I will be very grateful to anyone who takes some time to reply. Thank you!
pistonear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Indonesia and safety Reply with quote

Hello Amanda,
I am not an expert on Indonesia or womens issues in that country but I thought that a reply to your query might help you out. When I start to research jobs the first site I check is Dave's, the second site I check is the CIA factbook, it gives you the low down on what is really going on in country. Everything from aids cases to illicit drugs and all major economic indicators. The third site I check is the (CDC) Center for Disease Control. I use this one to find out what vaccinations are recommended according to time and season of travel. The fourth group of sites I check are expat sites to get info from people who remain in country for a long periods of time. Lastly I check, check and check sites relating to the school and any information on its teachers. You mom is right to be concerned, and its not just because you want to go to Indonesia. I don't think its any more dangerous their than in any other country. I also try to blend in as well as can be expected. This is often futile, but try to do as the natives do. Learn the language, as quickly as possible, it can save your life, and it will make your stay in whatever country you choose more pleasurable. As far as womens issues find an Indonesian female pen pal. The women will speak honestly with you. I hope this helps. Maybe others with more exact knowledge can help you further. P.S. I've been trying to get posted there.
Winmar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going to Indonesia since 1997, and have never had any major problems there. I can't speak for everywhere, but where I went, there was no danger. As I often say, I'm in much more danger of something happening to me here in Australia than over in Indo. I was in Bandung, which was great. Jakarta might be a different story, but then who really wants to go to Jakarta anyway???!!! Smile

As for being a woman, you might get hassled a bit more than if you were a guy, but generally it's fine.

The foreigner scene is very different to that of Thailand! Sure you get the older Dutch businessmen picking up 20yo girls in bars, but you only have to be part of that if you really want to. The teacher scene is great.

On Tampax, well there's no local stuff, but you might find it at a supermarket that imports it. So I gather from my female friends there anyway!
Amanda Williams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys, thank you for your replies. Good advice, Pistonear, and I hadn't thought of getting an Indonesian penfriend. I would add another source of information to those you mentioned - the UK Foreign Office website, which is currently warning people NOT to go to Indonesia unless their trip is absolutely necessary. (This is why I am concerned about safety.) Winmar, thanks for your contribution, not very reassuring I have to say as the position I have been offered is in Jakarta!

I would still like to hear from anyone (particularly women) who is living and working in Indonesia and can give any hints or advice about safety.
guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: forget cia....try the indonesian expat forum Reply with quote

Laughing try

http://expatforum.digitaldevelopment.com/

ask the local expats, they can tell you. There's not many expats here so you can enjoy the country and culture without all the foreigners.
Amanda Williams

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru, thank you so much, that is a really brilliant expat website, and my previous web search didn't find it. It has given me most of the information I need. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: You're welcome Reply with quote

Laughing I'm glad you found the info useful! Cool
Winmar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really want to go to Jakarta??!! Smile I think perhaps if you go straight there you could end up liking it, but if you went to a nicer place in Indo first, Jakarta would be horrible.
Amanda Williams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your concern, which I share to some extent. I know what Asian cities can be like. Too late now - the job is accepted, the flight is booked, and I am due to hit sunny (or should that be smoggy?) Jakarta late on Friday evening. Wish me luck...
Winmar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah you'll be ok. If you're not, you can always get out of Jakarta for weekends. Go to Bogor or Bandung when you can. At least Jakarta is the place to go if you want action! Let us know how you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: