Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saudization of English Teaching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Kessel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Saudization of English Teaching. Reply with quote

I have recently read the following news:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2003/9/4/91823.shtml

So, are our jobs safe?
Nomad Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Inshallah there teaching will please much time and effort agree pay."

....I am sure that this is something that the Ministers of whatever have tried before. I think it is customary for the whole of the economy to be Saudized at certain times. Teaching is hard work...So don't count on it.
Nomad Dan
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Those who can't teach, administrate Reply with quote

Dear Dave,
I wouldn't go hunting for another job just yet. For one thing, I strongly suspect this " Saudiization " is intended mainly, and perhaps exclusively, in the area of the " public schools ", where Egyptians and teachers from other Moslem countries are now often employed to teach ( a brand of ) English. For another, from my experience, not too many Saudis are going to want to teach, English or anything else. The " service professions " such as teaching and nursing, are careers that most Saudis are not attracted to. As Nomad Dan mentioned, it requires actual WORK, not to mention punctuality. Management and administration posts are much more sought after.
Regards,
John
titanicman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: NS or NNS teaching Reply with quote

Is there some website source to provide more indepth discussion or analysis of this Saudiation of English teaching?

My initial reaction is that the "nature" of the English taught in the schools by non-native speakers will change. Pronunciation and communication skills may not be as emphasized as they are with native speakers. In the long-run, this nature may affect the students who try to use their English in the marketplace (i.e., international jobs, etc.).

Thanks. Titanicman
Mark100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contracting company i work for told me that is was very hard to get visas for teachers at the moment.
I don't think it really matters if they have western English teachers here of not as not much real learning of teaching goes on in any case.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark,
Does this mean that the authorities are refusing to grant visas for foreign teachers? Interesting!
I've heard that the main reason ther are so few jobs for female teachers is that, because there are very few professions deemed 'suitable (ie sufficiently segregated) for Saudi women, there is a policy that most female only EFL positions in universities etc be allocated to local women.
Is this true?
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanicman and others, There is an interesting thread emerging on this topic on the TESOL Islamia forum:

http://www.tesolislamia.org/forum.html

TH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: