Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where in ME would suit me - if anywhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shmooj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Where in ME would suit me - if anywhere? Reply with quote

9 years experience of adults/children/some business English
Presently DoS in Japan
MA TESOL/App Linguistics

Like working with young learners but willing to teach anyone really

married Brit with one kid (wife cannot drive and is a Brit)

grew up in Kuwait and Jordan in the 70s but no Arabic past IBM level

I particularly want to know of what countries will pay a salary I can save on with this setup plus offer my wife and child a decent-ish community outside the flat where they can have their own life while I work.

I should add that we are spendthrifts who can get by on the basics and who are fairly quiet in terms of social life i.e. a night in with a good book is a dream for me.

So... over to you!
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your wife isns't working then KSA will be rather dull for her. These days, people pretty mcuh keep to themsleves and it can be difficult to have a solid circle of friends, esp. now that the turnover among ex-pats is so high.

Seeing that you grew up in Kuwait, you will have a good idea of the ex-pat lifestyle in the Gulf. However, bear in mind that, at least in KSA, things have quietened down considerably since the 80s and early 90s. Now the only thing on offer - unless you've got good contacts - is the piss-up party scene which as you said isn't really your thing.

If I were you, I"d try the UAE. With an MA and experience you should find a job in one of the tertiary instituttions there, and most teaching jobs of this nature offer family status. However, obviously they've done their hiring for September, so you might have to wait another year. If I'm wrong on this, please correct me, Veiled Sentiments or whoever ...!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot in all honesty recommend many places for you in Saudi Arabia.
For families it is much tougher now. PM Writerman or Veildsentiments as they arrived recently and seem to be doing well in UAE.

Maybe the UAE would be better
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that most places will have likely filled all positions for this semester and even if they haven't the paper chases makes it difficult to get someone in quickly. Some places may be hiring for January.

As Scot says, Saudi is not a place I would recommend except for single men.

One idea would be to attend TESOLArabia March 10-12 in Dubai. They have a job fair and a good chance to talk to people working at the various places.

With your education and experience, most opportunities would be in tertiary level. With your business background, Higher Colleges of Technology sounds a good choice and they have one of the best benefit packages and salaries. You could use your business English background there. Same with Zayed University.

If you wanted to stay with children, there are British schools. Afraid I know nothing about what they require as far as credentials.

Other than the UAE, there is also Oman. The pay is not as good, but it is certainly a pleasant place to live and work. You could check out Sultan Qaboos University. The smaller private colleges tend not to have good family packages. You may also want to look into jobs with the Ministry of Education, but many of those are out in the hinterlands.

I think that all of these places have websites. Check 'em out.

VS
shmooj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all very good helpful stuff! Thanks!

Just FYI, none of this will be decided on for at least another year for me but it is good to be reminded how long red tape takes in the M.E. It means that any potential move from one job to another should be planned well in advance.

Hmmm TESOL Arabia is timed nicely. Am I right therefore in thinking that if I passed through there in March on the way home from Japan to the UK, I could apply for a position at that time for a position the following September? Or is that too late?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect timing -- bring along your CVs, attend the job fair and do some interviews.

Or -- you may want to send off your applications in January -- noting in your cover letter that you plan to attend the conference in March. It gives them the impression that you are serious enough about a job that you would come to them for the interview. Smile

VS
manonatrain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: tesol arabia a waste of money and time ? Reply with quote

I attended TESOL Arabia last year and found it LACKING.
I payed a lot and feel I did not get much for value.

As far as filling in applications on site, and being there
when they schedule your interview. Well, it is all a big
waste of time.

Sending your resume with all your documents (certificates etc), and a scanned copy of your first passport page, will get you
a job faster than one at tesol arabia.

Suggest doing this even if they are not ADVERTISING for teacher,
they are suddenly understaffed
your PAPERS will be all there ready for them to hire.

I am not saying the conference isn�t a good idea, I just
don�t think that is the way to get a job. I know that
it is great to meet up with other teachers, and see what
is out there. But really, the internet gives you more truth and
a nice Brit spokesperson from a crap school might give you the
impression ALL IS WELL in their establishment....alas...the cheese
for the trap has been set.

Laughing

Last edited by manonatrain on Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
shmooj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manonatrain, you have some good points and yes, I believe that it is tempting for people to misrepresent their school from a distance. I intend to do homework though and would probably only seriously consider a post at a place I can get a good deal of feedback from other teachers on. That's why TESOL Arabia might be a good place. I can walk away from Mr. Charm and immediately get several opinions from teachers there about his job's validity. I could then return to him in person with some challenging questions and see how he reacts.

Of course, veiledsentiments is right to do as you also advise - send your CV a long while before stating when you are ready to work and also when you will be around for interview at TESOL Arabia.

Thanks to you both for this advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: