Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SIT TESOL in Krakow, any good?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katharine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: SIT TESOL in Krakow, any good? Reply with quote

Hi, I need some advice on The American Academy of English/SIT TESOL program in Krakow, Poland. Is this a good program?
Is the Trinity TESOL Cert needed here or any other place in Eastern Europe? I've read so much about the advantages of Trinity, but have yet to meet anyone who says it is better than a program without it.
How is life as an EFL instructor in Poland?
Do you make enough money to not only survive but also travel?
Any other information you would like to share about TEFL in Poland would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Katharine

For informational purposes, I am an American citizen and I have a Bachelor of Science degree.
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the program specifically, but SIT has one of the best reputations in the world. I'm sure it would be of high calibre.
I would love to do their MA program but don't have $40,000 US lying around. Sorry I don't have any more info.
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there..

The SIT program with AAE is, from what I heard, quite good, although a bit more expensive than doing the CELTA in Krakow at International House. I have some friends who are doing it at the moment, and they say it's very good. SIT have their own trainers who are doing it, so there is no lack of expertise.

Can you work here and make enough of a living to live and travel? Well, it really does depend on the school. At AAE, no way. They have a fairly good program where you get your TEFL cert, work and also study for your MEd, but the pay is really low comparatively speaking. BUT, my friends who have done this program are really satisfied with the qualifications they have received.

The schools where I work give me enough money to live comfortably and be able to afford a trip to Bavaria, Rome, London and the Baltic region. But I worked my butt off! This year I'm taking it easy--got rid of the low-paying uni job so I can pick up private students for more money--if I want..

Anyway, if you do want to work in Poland, remember. You MUST have a work visa in your passport before you arrive in Poland! Unless, of course, you want to spend the extra money to go back home to get it in the consulate in the US. So, in other words, you must have a job first before you come here and get all the paperwork done beforehand. There's no getting around this requirement anymore..

BTW, I've been living in Sosnowiec for the past 6 years. This is next to Katowice. I'm also an American, and started off at AAE before they started the SIT and MEd programs...

Have fun!

Chris--the female variety
Sosnowiec/Milwaukee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: