Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WORK PERMISSION ISSUES - GERMANY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kololam77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: WORK PERMISSION ISSUES - GERMANY Reply with quote

THIS POST IS LONG AND HELPFUL.

? - Does a TEFL or CELTA cert. make any difference at all in terms of securing an ESL post (freelance or otherwise) in the EU if you are a non-
EU citizen?

Case in point - American foreign policy has typically been a policy of force. European foreign policy has typically been a policy of diplomacy. Thank goodness for both. Remember WWII?

NOW FOR THE POST.......

Perhaps the schools don�t want to be caught up in this Scheinselbst�ndigkeit situation in any way. If you have been working on a regular basis for some schools, there shouldn�t really be a problem getting confirmation. I don�t know why the people you�ve asked are refusing to help you out in this respect.

Permanent positions are indeed hard to come by � it doesn�t matter what nationality you are.

Germany has tightened up its immigration laws considerably which is making it particularly hard or even impossible for non-EU citizens to get a foothold or have an extension granted to a visa. There has been some useful info posted to an egroup I belong to which might be of interest � here it is:

I�ve been digging around a bit to see if I can find any laws which explain why Jason�s residence and work permit haven�t been renewed and I�m afraid the conditions that non-EU citizen have to fulfill have now been tightened.

These far stricter regulations were introduced last year - apparently to bring them into line with the EU guidelines on immigration.

AufenthG �9 Abs. 2 (a law that governs residence permits) states that non-EU citizens now have to show they have "feste und regelm��ige Eink�nfte" = a secure and regular income (i.e. a permanent, salaried position) � in the past, you only had to show that you earned enough to be able to support yourself.

An exception has been made for freelance and self-employed citizens from non-EU states (21 AufenthG), but to meet the requirements there, you have to show that:

a) you are in a position to invest at least �1 million and/or

b) you will be able to create at least 10 new jobs

c) the business will be of economic benefit to the region

(I now understand why our local authority has recently started asking non-EU citizens who want to teach freelance here for a copy of their business plans).

It rather looks as if Jason has been refused an extension of his residence and work permits because he doesn't have a permanent, salaried position and isn't in a position to fulfill the requirements for 21 AufenthG.

These stricter regulations are obviously going to hit non-EU freelancers who have to renew their permits extremely hard because very few language schools, institutes or companies here offer salaried positions.

For more info. here, check out: http://www.bmas.bund.de/BMAS/Redaktion/Pdf/veroeffentlichung-zuwanderung,property=pdf,bereich=bmas,sprache=de,rwb=true.pdf

John
Deicide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WORK PERMISSION ISSUES - GERMANY Reply with quote

kololam77 wrote:
THIS POST IS LONG AND HELPFUL.

? - Does a TEFL or CELTA cert. make any difference at all in terms of securing an ESL post (freelance or otherwise) in the EU if you are a non-
EU citizen?

Case in point - American foreign policy has typically been a policy of force. European foreign policy has typically been a policy of diplomacy. Thank goodness for both. Remember WWII?

NOW FOR THE POST.......

Perhaps the schools don�t want to be caught up in this Scheinselbst�ndigkeit situation in any way. If you have been working on a regular basis for some schools, there shouldn�t really be a problem getting confirmation. I don�t know why the people you�ve asked are refusing to help you out in this respect.

Permanent positions are indeed hard to come by � it doesn�t matter what nationality you are.

Germany has tightened up its immigration laws considerably which is making it particularly hard or even impossible for non-EU citizens to get a foothold or have an extension granted to a visa. There has been some useful info posted to an egroup I belong to which might be of interest � here it is:

I�ve been digging around a bit to see if I can find any laws which explain why Jason�s residence and work permit haven�t been renewed and I�m afraid the conditions that non-EU citizen have to fulfill have now been tightened.

These far stricter regulations were introduced last year - apparently to bring them into line with the EU guidelines on immigration.

AufenthG �9 Abs. 2 (a law that governs residence permits) states that non-EU citizens now have to show they have "feste und regelm��ige Eink�nfte" = a secure and regular income (i.e. a permanent, salaried position) � in the past, you only had to show that you earned enough to be able to support yourself.

An exception has been made for freelance and self-employed citizens from non-EU states (21 AufenthG), but to meet the requirements there, you have to show that:

a) you are in a position to invest at least �1 million and/or

b) you will be able to create at least 10 new jobs

c) the business will be of economic benefit to the region

(I now understand why our local authority has recently started asking non-EU citizens who want to teach freelance here for a copy of their business plans).

It rather looks as if Jason has been refused an extension of his residence and work permits because he doesn't have a permanent, salaried position and isn't in a position to fulfill the requirements for 21 AufenthG.

These stricter regulations are obviously going to hit non-EU freelancers who have to renew their permits extremely hard because very few language schools, institutes or companies here offer salaried positions.

For more info. here, check out: http://www.bmas.bund.de/BMAS/Redaktion/Pdf/veroeffentlichung-zuwanderung,property=pdf,bereich=bmas,sprache=de,rwb=true.pdf

John

Yes we know this...if you are North American head to Asia...or just marry a bloody EU person...sorry I am a bit bitter after having spent 8 years in Europe being forced to leave. See my post about visas in the Italy forum. Die Deutschen greifen jetzt durch. In den kommenden Jahren wird es immer schwieriger. Die EU schliesst sich zusammen....ach I could go on...just bitter...need an EU bird.... Wink
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
need an EU bird

no you don't! You need to try something new. A Korean or Japanese bird is a good experience. There is more to life than Germany. Of course the German beer is like 10 times better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: