Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I Crazy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trukesehammer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Am I Crazy? Reply with quote

Greetings and best wishes from Taiwan! Smile

Maybe I am crazy, but I'm about to book a ticket to Cambodia and I'm going stag (i.e., completely alone with no foreknowledge of the place). All I know is I've got island fever something terrible and need a place to hide out for about 3 weeks. I thought about running down to that "Snookieville Beach" place because I'm an avid skin diver.

Can somebody PLEASE give me some advice? I mean other than telling me I'm nuts! Confused

--Oh, one last thing. I ain't White. I'm a genuine feather-headed, tomtom-beating, war-whooping, tomahawk-chucking, wagon-burning, pow-wowing, tipi-creeping, buffalo-crunching American Indian (who obviously doesn't take himself too seriously like a lot of other PC-whipped "Native Americans" out there --yes, that's a pic of me in the link).

anospi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll love it. In fact, you'll probably love it so much you won't leave.
cameron.mayo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go...nuff said.
marklatham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: cambodian islands Reply with quote

I didn't go to the islands from snookyville but I am sure they are great.
Next time I will go to the koh where the americans attacked in 1975 to rescue the mayaguez.
trukesehammer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made it! Smile

What can I say? I've only been here 7 hours but already, the place is starting to grow on me. When the plane was first flying over Phnom Penh I thought to myself, "Geez, I bought a ticket to a giant swamp." Water, water everywhere and I was afraid they wouldn't be able to find a place to land the plane.

Sure, it's hot here but not like Taiwan. My little $6.00 room is right over a big, green lake and the wind blows lots of cool air. There's not much else to report yet, mainly because as soon as I walked in my room I fell on the bed and slept for several hours.

By the way, does anyone know much about the local aboriginal groups? I'm interested in doing some research on them while here.
marklatham

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: i made it Reply with quote

congrats on getting there.It must rain a lot about,when I was there in june the tonle sap was about 15 metres below the street level.
Soon it will be so full that it flows backwards.
Don't know much about the indigenes,but I know that there are some who survived the KR.
If you want any info about nightlife pm me-hope that you hit the heart of darkness late at night.
anospi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't know much about the aboriginal groups there. However, there are many articles written on the Cambodian culture at this website. Dig deep and you may be able to find something.

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia.htm
trukesehammer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm still hanging in there, or hanging in here I should say.

Cambodia is very cheap and lots of fun but very, very heartbreaking. Nevermind all the annoying motoboys and people trying to sell me wacky-tobbacky everywhere I go, but the poverty is truly outrageous. My god, I must have given away almost 200 bucks to the grubby-faced, big-eyed little urchins dressed in rags and asking me for food money. I guess I'm a sucker for a pair of giant brown eyes. Embarassed

But even more heartbreaking is the amount of Child Sex Slavery that goes on here. I've seen it with my own eyes: fat, balding old goats with girls as young as 13 under their arms! I wish I could call the 24-hour hotline but I don't know what to say...

Quote:
ME: I just saw a fat, bald guy with a 13-year-old under his arm.
OPERATOR: Did you get his name?
ME: Ummm, no. Not really.
OPERATOR: How about a hotel and room number?
ME: Ummmmm...

So all I could do was volunteer some time and money to a place called BICE out of Sihanoukville. These guys apparently specialize in "rescuing" kids from these situations, placing them in homes, and educating them.

Again, call me a softy, but there's only so much swimming and sunbathing one can do before it gets old.
marklatham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: poverty Reply with quote

good on you trukes,
It is amazing how many people who visit cambodia go back there to do good works.
I have been in touch with two groups of people here who have been back many times to help the kids with schools and health care.
I hope to do the same,the kids re so beautiful.
I gave a lot of money to the amputees as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: