Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Citizenship?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikesspamlessemail

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Citizenship? Reply with quote

Is there any way other than marrying someone to get citizenship or to stay legally in the country? I know in many Latin America countries if you buy property or put up a certain amount of money this is possible... but I would imagine this is much more difficult since France doesn't have trouble attracting people who want to live there, since it's awesome. Any suggestions?
rogan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: French citizenship application Reply with quote

As far as I know the citizenship process requires 5 years' residence before the application is made.

Theoretically this could be achieved in any of the DOM or TOM.
mikesspamlessemail

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: French citizenship application Reply with quote

rogan wrote:
As far as I know the citizenship process requires 5 years' residence before the application is made.

Theoretically this could be achieved in any of the DOM or TOM.

Thanks for the info- sorry, what is DOM or TOM? How does one live for 5 years in the first place when it's so hard to get a work permit? Sort of like the chicken and the egg...
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOM - Departements outre mer
TOM - Territoires outre mes

There's a slight difference in their legal status.

An overseas Departement has exactly the same legal status as any mainland Departement (local administrative unit, like a County in the UK, maybe like a State in the uS) .

Martinique, in the Caribbean is the same as any other mainland French administrative authority - it counts as being the same as (for eg) Provence.

So it's possible to live on an island paradise for 5 years, gain citizenship and then jump on a plane to Paris.
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the only other way you can really do it is if you have a fair bit of money put away. Then you can invest in a business or come over as a fee paying student. But as rogan said there is a residence requirement, no matter which way you try it.

PT
mikesspamlessemail

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perpetual Traveller wrote:
Unfortunately the only other way you can really do it is if you have a fair bit of money put away. Then you can invest in a business or come over as a fee paying student. But as rogan said there is a residence requirement, no matter which way you try it.

PT

Investing in a business- sounds like a possibility. Any recommendations for where to find this? Even if I could just buy in to one of those newsstands in Paris.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just phone up the French equivalent of the Home Office/Immigration dept. and ask.

You can however expect that the amount of money you would be required to invest would be considerable (as in millions), even then the process is not automatic.
wildchild

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, I hope all is well and I thank you for entertaining my question, although it doesn't really, directly apply to meself (I'm a married to a French).

So you saying that any old joe who shows that he's been livin with DOMinique or TOMas or whoever for five years is entitled to a french card? If so, what kinda documents they need to show? Just some rental/lease agreements that show 5 years? And that's it? Holy smokes, load up the jalopy, we're a rollin West...or, uh, East that is. Razz I'm just a gonna smush them grapes all over me face! Razz
michellem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: it's not quite that easy Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello all, I hope all is well and I thank you for entertaining my question, although it doesn't really, directly apply to meself (I'm a married to a French).

So you saying that any old joe who shows that he's been livin with DOMinique or TOMas or whoever for five years is entitled to a french card? If so, what kinda documents they need to show? Just some rental/lease agreements that show 5 years? And that's it? Holy smokes, load up the jalopy, we're a rollin West...or, uh, East that is. I'm just a gonna smush them grapes all over me face!

Being married for 5 years makes things a lot easier because once you hit the 5 year anniversary it is probably not a mariage of convenience. Especially if you haven't asked for residency papers.

The first thing you would need to bring to get your Titre de Sejour is a livret de famille issued in the country you wer married in or live in currently. Do not come to france without it!! otherwise it will cost an absolute fortune in time and money to get it here. bring anything, preferably in French, with both names on it dating from as long ago as possible;; rental agreements, insurance, telehone/ gas/ electric health cards. The process to get a titre de s�jour is relatively painless. Bring a good book some food and water and just wait your turn in the local prefecture. A year after you get your titre de sejour, ie residency in france you can apply for citizenship. i have heard that you should go directly to the naturalization guichet at the prefecture and not to believe what is said on the website regarding the doculent needed to apply; there seels to be some discrepancy depending on where to come from.

So it is not as easy as just loading up the car and driving over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: