Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I actually get a job?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ambush14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Can I actually get a job? Reply with quote

I've been reading some of the things that people have written in past discussions, and I"m becoming more and more worried that, even if I get a TESL certificate I won't be able to get a job in Germany.
I took 4 years of German in high school but haven't been exposed to it at all in just a little over 3 years. Will anyone hire me if I don't speak German? How much German do I need to know before I can expect to get a job teaching English?
Will it be a major problem that I am not an EU citizen, or is that not as much of a hindrance as it seems?
I really want to live in Germany for a while, so any help I can get from anyone would be great. Thanks.
Showem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you study, if anything? That might increase your job chances. Do you want to teach English or do you want to live in Germany? There are plenty of opportunities out there for things other than language training, and again, depending on what you studied, probably better paid.
ambush14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I earned a B.A. in Anthropology with a concentration in Archaeology, not exactly the most useful degree. But teaching English is not necessarily specifically what I want to do. I want to live in Germany for a while, and had been told that teaching English was probably the easiest way to do that, so that's why I was looking into ESL. Any job that would allow me to live (and cover the cost of me living) in Germany would do just fine.
Deicide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Can I actually get a job? Reply with quote

ambush14 wrote:
I've been reading some of the things that people have written in past discussions, and I"m becoming more and more worried that, even if I get a TESL certificate I won't be able to get a job in Germany.
I took 4 years of German in high school but haven't been exposed to it at all in just a little over 3 years. Will anyone hire me if I don't speak German? How much German do I need to know before I can expect to get a job teaching English?
Will it be a major problem that I am not an EU citizen, or is that not as much of a hindrance as it seems?
I really want to live in Germany for a while, so any help I can get from anyone would be great. Thanks.

People (North Americans) ask this question time and again and here is the answer:

My background is such, I lived on student visas in Europe for the past 8 years and am now in South Korea (I am an American). I left because I was broke and because of me being a North American I know the ins and outs of the EU deal. Bottom line is every year the EU is expanding and in particular consolidating, that means, every year North Americans without immediate British, Greek or Irish ancestry have basically zero chances of work within an EU country. Why? Well within the EU an employer who wants to hire you needs to prove to the respective country's labor board that you possess qualifications that no comparable EU citizen can. That is the first incentive for ESL employers to hire on Brits and Irish, it's easier for THEM. The other thing is that in some countries, like France, hiring a non EU actually costs the employer money in addition to the need to prove that you are better qualified than an EU person. What employer would go through that headache and financial loss just for you. There are some countries, which are more amenable to North Americans, Portugal and Germany come to mind but forget about Italy or France or Spain or just about any other long time member of the EU. Poland, although having joined recently will often sponsor visas, but that is becoming less and less so the case (you also earn chicken feed in the Eastern Block Countries). There really are only 2 ways around the conundrum. The easiest (especially if you are a young and attractive female) is marry an EU citizen, then you are set and have the same status as a Brit or Irishman. Or if you are lucky enough you can apply for passport from the respective country (only Greece, Ireland and GB) if your mother/father and/or grandmother/grandfather hails from one of these countries. Otherwise tough luck. As you may have read there really isn't any other way around it all. I am bilingual in German and English and speak fluent French but no chance, me being a bloody yank. There is one way, which would be a long shot, if you are Canadian. All members of British Common Wealth countries are entitled to a 2-year work visa up to the age of thirty for GB. You could theoretcally find someway to extend that to 5 years and after 5 years of work in the UK, you can apply for a British passport and then you have EU status, takes a bit longer but what the hell? I as an American am permanently screwed and it sucks since virtually all my close friends are some place in Europe and since I was broke and they pay for the flight decided to work in the sewer pit otherwise known as Korea. Why is the EU doing this...well ten years ago, it was hard but not nigh impossible to get work in an EU country but with consolidation comes economic protectionism...it all makes sense, you now how hard it is for foreigners to get work in the US? All but impossible...too bad I hate the states...only that there anyone can apply for a green card, in Europe they have no such thing. So that's basically the scoop, sucks but it is the truth. Marry an EU national, try a Scheinehe (german for seeming or pretend marriage), they check up on that but you never know...on a more positive note North Americans are preferred in Eastern Asia and your chances in Russia are the same as any Brit...sucks being American or Canadian don't it? I want to live and settle down in Europe but I am also realistic so next year I am looking at Russia and Japan...

If you are young and don't mind earning peanuts you can try some of those pseudo-exchange job things...otherwise you are out of luck...good luck...
dannypoet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But of course its easy being a Brit and trying to live in N.America Wink
Deicide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannypoet wrote:
But of course its easy being a Brit and trying to live in N.America Wink

granted...but Yankland sucks donkey *beep* anyway..that's why were expats...! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: