Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just curious!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar805

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: just curious! Reply with quote

I've just read a job ad on one of the other websites submitted by a Dr Nasser Qalesh in Riyadh (no name of organisation given) - he's advertising for ELTs from New Zealand and South Africa. Does anyone know of this person and the organisation that he represents? Why is he stipulating just those 2 countries for teaching staff?
Any ideas?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never hear of Dr. Qalash but I can make a suggestion as to why he stipulates these two countries only.

In Saudi when you wish to employ foreigners for a certain position you apply for block visas for the number of authorized workers and these block visas are valid for one country only.

So, it appears that Dr. Qalash, or the organization he represents has visas for these two countries only.

Another possibility could be that he is representing a large institution that has visas for many countries, and they have asked him to be responsible for recruitment from these two countries.

Just a guess, but a reasonable one.
Mark100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: VIsas Reply with quote

It is true that visas are done in blocks in Saudi but
my cynical guess as to why they are asking for Kiwis and South Africans would be that they are cheaper than other nationalities due to the low value of their currencies rather than the fact that they do not have visas for other nationalities.
omar805

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: even more curious! Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the explanation on block visas. Howver, the same person has now just re-advertised asking for male English Language Teachers from New Zealand, South Africa and Denmark. Block visas from NZ and South Africa yes, but Denmark! I didn't realize that they were big on producing native speaking ELTS.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Africa, New Zealand, Denmark.

Good-looking blondes?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Danes ? Why not ? Reply with quote

I have met Danes whose spoken and written English is far superior that of most "native speaker" teachers.. What amazes me is that the native speaker myth lives on despite eveidence that many of them are ill-educated, semil-literate, monoglots with little understanding of the pedagogy of foreign language learning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: