Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applying for a visa w/ a criminal convict. & arrest warr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pegoopanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Applying for a visa w/ a criminal convict. & arrest warr Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I had a question--I was wondering if Germany does background checks for their residency visas for US citizens who are applying. I received an offer for a job and need to start the application process (which i am COMPLETELY clueless on) and i read a generic residency application (which i heard is now what everyone has to apply for instead of a separate work visa) and it asks about the applicant's criminal history. I do have a few misdemeanors under my belt (a DUI & domestic charge) but my problem is that i left without finishing my classes for my domestic and i also have a 2nd DUI which i never went to court for so there are warrants out for my arrest.

So here is the thing--if i were to check the no box for criminal convictions would they still run a background check? If i checked yes, i assume the rest of you would agree--they would deny my application due to the current circumstances back at home.

I am just afraid of risking checking the no box and if incase they do run a check, i risk not only rejection of the application but perhaps a permanent ban from ever applying due to dishonesty.

Yes, i know that there is a complete lack of moral on my side! My reasons are entirely personal and i am young person who has made too many mistakes in her lifetime and i do sincerely need assistance with this problem. if anyone has any information, please let me know!

thank you!
Gerhard E. Jene

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re:past problems Reply with quote

Hi

Here is the solution. Find the nearest small claims court and ask to see a justice of the peace. Or get information as to where you can see a lawyer through community legal services and get some advice. Explain your situation and ask them what can be done to clear this up.
If you were to answer no, this will haunt you while working and affect your performance. Also, if it pops up while you are working, you may have to forget going back to work. That is because you lied on the form and covered up this problem. If that happens, I do not know if they have a black list for teachers that gets circulated.
I know this is not much help, but it is the best that I can think of to clear it up and be able to answer honestly and not have to worry about the problem rearing its ugly head at an inopportune time while you are working overseas. Also, before driving anywhere overseas, check with the nearest DMV and find out what the rules and regulations are of that country.Especially in regards to your problems and find out what the penalties are. This will help you sober up and smarten up.

Gary
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite tough for Americans to get legal work/residence permission for Germany these days. The laws favoring EU member citizens have tightened up considerably over the past couple of years.

Maybe, before you open your personal can of worms, you should be 100% sure that you have a realistic chance of swinging the paperwork anyway. There's little point going to a lot of stress and trouble if you aren't entirely assurred that you are even eligible to work/live in Germany anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: