Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legalising degrees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Legalising degrees Reply with quote

Posted this on another forum 2 Jan 2007
I-m going to be teaching some classes at San Ignacio de Loyola and was told that I need to have my degree legalised by the consulate in Chicago and then translated and legalised by the RREE. The consulate in CHicago then told me this.

le informo que nosotros legalizamos la firma del Secretario de Estado (midwest), para lo cual Ud tendra que, previamente, legalizar las firmas de las autoridades universitarias correspondientes.

How do I legalise the signatures of the people at the university? And then get the Secretary of State to legalise that? What about public notaries? I can-t imagine waiting for the Sec of State to legalise a document, that would take a long time, wouldn-t it?

Reply 10 Jan 2007
It turned out to be easier than I thought. Sent me degree by mail to the Chicago Consulate with a cheque for 30 USD and a solicitud asking them to legalise it. Just got it back today with the legalisation on the back.
HollyC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: notarized degree Reply with quote

Hi. I was also told to do that with my degree. I had my degree notarized so that I have a legal note saying its a real document. Now do you know if I can have this translated in Peru or do I have to do this here in the US? I'm only asking because when I checked the Peruvian Consulate's page in San Fran...there is no English and I'm not sure who to talk to or send it to. Thanks.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: notarized degree Reply with quote

HollyC wrote:
Hi. I was also told to do that with my degree. I had my degree notarized so that I have a legal note saying its a real document. Now do you know if I can have this translated in Peru or do I have to do this here in the US? I'm only asking because when I checked the Peruvian Consulate's page in San Fran...there is no English and I'm not sure who to talk to or send it to. Thanks.

YOu need to get it legalised in the consulate, which I think for you would be San Francisco. THey put my legalisation as stamps on the back.

Then you have to go to an official translator in Lima, costs about 20 USD and have them translate. For translators see www.rree.gob.pe and do a search for traduccion.

THen go to the Banco de la Nacion and pay for legalisation of degrees, should be around 20 soles.

Then go to the RREE (foreign affairs ministry) in Lima and have them legalise it.

Don-t you love centralised governments? Smile
HollyC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious? You have to go through all that just to teach English there? Oh my gosh. Is it really worth doing all that? This is the first country I've seen that I have to do all that done. I don't get it. Gosh..Japan was so easy, just give the your degree. Anyway, thanks for the info.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HollyC wrote:
Are you serious? You have to go through all that just to teach English there? Oh my gosh. Is it really worth doing all that? This is the first country I've seen that I have to do all that done. I don't get it. Gosh..Japan was so easy, just give the your degree. Anyway, thanks for the info.

No, only at this uni. Also you have to already have a legal visa to work there. <They make you do all this work because they want you to stay for a while. They're looking for serious teachers.
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also know quite a few people who have bought fake uni degrees in Thailand on the way to Japan, so perhaps it is worthwhile having more stringent procedures and requirements.
rgamarra28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if really desperate one can visit the black market for a fake degree, fake DNI, fake passport, or just "pay" someone under the table. but it's better to do things the right way even if it is hard at first!

OR you can ask 10 Peruvians the same question and pick the one that has the answer you want to hear...they always say something different! The trick is to talk to them in circles, I've always seen that work rather effectively.

Like they say, "Peru is a wonderland!"
HollyC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not that I don't have a college degree. I do have one. My problem is that I have to send my degree to another state and when I checked the Peruvian consulate's website for that state..its written all in Spanish, so I dont know what dept. to send my degree to. I can't call them because I work from 7-4 and San Francisco, which is where I have to send it to, is 3 hours ahead of my time. So by the time I get home from work, the office is already closed. I have already got my degree notarized..but apparently, this is not good enough so I guess I have to still send it to the Consulate. I guess things are just done differently there.
rgamarra28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally there is an emergency # listed on the website that you can call late at night, we've done this before and they've helped us out by answering our questions. You may have additional steps to follow once you arrive in Peru for your degree to be "legally" recognized...make sure you ask them and ask them more than once when you do, sometimes their answers change. As for the site being in Spanish, you may want to have a Spanish speaking friend help you out.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HollyC wrote:
The problem is not that I don't have a college degree. I do have one. My problem is that I have to send my degree to another state and when I checked the Peruvian consulate's website for that state..its written all in Spanish, so I dont know what dept. to send my degree to. I can't call them because I work from 7-4 and San Francisco, which is where I have to send it to, is 3 hours ahead of my time. So by the time I get home from work, the office is already closed. I have already got my degree notarized..but apparently, this is not good enough so I guess I have to still send it to the Consulate. I guess things are just done differently there.

Send your degree with a check for 30 USd and a letter saying that you want them to legalise it. They will send it back in about a week with the stamps on the back. Tada. I did everything by mail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: