Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in France as an ESL teacher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
haller_79

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Working in France as an ESL teacher Reply with quote

Hi

I am a 27 yo male and am interested in working in France and have signed up to do a TESOL course as I believe it could be a foot in the door (and I like the idea of teaching). Although I am Australian I have a UK passport so have the right to work in France, my French is intermediate. My question is, is it necessary to do some work in Asia or another high demand area before going to France in order to be taken seriously for work there? Is it possible to simply turn up with a TESOL cert and find work within say a month?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Tom.
fancynan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you taking your course in France? If so, which one did you choose? I am planning to go within the year and am looking at TEFL Paris, which I visited last fall (it is actually in a village outside Paris). From the references with whom I have exchanged emails, employment was forthcoming fairly quickly for those who stayed in Paris. And, yes, predominantly language schools.

Today I was looking at the major ads on www.fusac.fr and noticed that although TEFL certification was required by some, none specifically required the CELTA certificate. (BTW, I, too, have dual citizenship so can legally work in the EU, have a BA and an MBA, as well as 20 + years of business experience).
haller_79

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the course in my home town (Sydney, Oz) which starts this week. The college said they can line you up jobs in Asia before you leave but not in France. Just a bit worried about going over there with no teaching experience and spending two months looking for work because of lack of experience, in which time my credit card will probably max out due to the strength of the Euro (and the cost of living in Paris which would be my first port of call). Sounds a bit tentative I know but it's a looong way for me to go back if I run out of funds.
quoi_de_neuf?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi haller_79

Hope your course is going well.

Yep, Paris is an expensive place to live and the job-hunt can take its toll... However, hopefully this list of language schools in Paris will help you Smile It's by no means exhaustive, but a good starting point... Check out their websites and send your CV. By the way, I got this list via a very good website www.�'"(_���__��_��-_�-�

Good luck,

Quoi d'un oeuf

AAA Formation www.aaapresentations.com
ABC de la Formation www.abcdelaformation.com
Accord www.french-paris.com
AdomLingua www.adomlingua.fr
Alpha Learning www.alpha-learning.com
Ambassade des Langues www.adlparis.com
American School of Paris www.asparis.org
Anglais en Entreprise www.anglais-en-entreprise.com
Anglais Oral Acc�l�r� www.anglaisoralaccelere.com
Aspect www.aspectworld.com
ASPLEF www.asplef.com
Berlitz France www.berlitz.fr
British Council France www.britishcouncil.org/france
Business Talk France www.businesstalkfrance.com
Business & Technical Languages www.btl.fr
Centre de langues www.pgsm-langues.com
CFILC www.courslangues.com
Communicaid www.communicaid.com
Demos Langues www.demos.fr
Ecole Active Bilingue www.eabjm.com
Eurocentres www.eurocentres.com
Europera Formation www.europera-formation.com
Formalangues www.formalangues.com
Inlingua Paris www.inlingua-paris.com
Institut Europ�en de Langues www.seiel.com
Institut France Europe Connexion ifec.free.fr
International Langage Center www.ilcfrance.com
Kingsley School of English www.kingsley.fr
Language Associates www.language-associates.com
Language Studies International www.lsi.edu
Langues et Affaires www.languesetaffaires.com
Langues et Entreprises www.langues-entreprises.fr
Langues Onze www.langueonzeparis.com
Lingua Institut www.lingua-institut.com
Linguarama www.linguarama.com
Media Langues www.media-langues.com
OISE www.oise.com
Proformation www.proformation.fr
Stewart International School www.stewartintschool.com
T�l�langue start.telelangue.com
Tomatis Langues www.tomatis-langues.com
Turbolangues www.turbolangues.com
Unilangues
Univers des langues www.univers-langues.com
University of London Institute in Paris www.bip.lon.ac.uk
Wall Street Institute France www.wallstreetinstitute.fr
haller_79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Great list quoi
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to put a dampener in but unfortunately I think you will find that most places want at least one year's experience. French schools, and those in Paris in particular, can afford to be pretty choosy. You might have better luck in Eastern Europe if it's really Europe that you want to be in.

Bonne chance,

PT
quoi_de_neuf?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haller,

You're welcome! Good luck with the job-search

Quoi de neuf
loyal_canine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Haller,

I had the same reservations as you, I kept hearing how hard it was to find work in France. This seemed to be backed up by the fact that I got no responses to the applications I sent to France.

So, after doing my TEFL, I spent last year teaching in a few different countries, some of it volunteer work, some language camp and some with a language school teaching adults.

Having just arrived in France I have had interviews with 5 companies and been offered 4 jobs and have already started teaching. With that bit of experience under my belt teaching both children and business adults I was getting great feedback on my resume. I can't say that I wouldn't have gotten a job without experience, but it certainly does seem to have made things easier.

Combine that with some previous experience in the corporate world, which I can draw on when teaching business people (the bulk of clients at language schools in Paris it seems) and presenting myself decently, finding a job was a piece of cake in comparison to the stories I'd heard.

Presentation is important, I heard stories from 3 of the people I interviewed with about people turning up looking like hippies or yawning in interviews and they seemed relieved to find someone they wouldn't feel uncomfortable sending to clients. Your clients are likely to be in big companies, so present yourself as if you were prepared to teach in such an environment.

Above all, don't be put off by some of the negative comments on other threads about finding work in France. I'm glad I read most of it after I had found work and not before. If you're determined and positive you are certain to succeed.

Bonne chance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: