Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horror Stories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRCash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Horror Stories Reply with quote

I'm embarking on a CELTA course in January. When I am qualified, I thought, I would like to work in France next year. I love the country and the Rugby World Cup is on there next year, and as a rugby-nut I'd love to be there for it.

However, I have heard so many horror stories about France I am totally put off. Is it a terrible place for a tefl teacher or have I just been unfortunate to read more bad stories than good?
craftynick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

i am currently teaching in Barcelona but am thinking about moving to France - the 2 main reasons for this are that i speak French much better then Spanish and i have tickets for the Rugby World Cup in Sept & thought that maybe i should move there soon

any advice on this would be gratefully appreciated

nicola x
medusa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be TEFL horror stories, regardless of the country but I have to admit, France has perhaps more than it's fair share....

This is partly because the largest employment secteur for tefl is the private. Language schools catering for business professionals. If you've looked through some of the previous threads you'll see that the pay is not top, and the hours variable, from one week to the next with minimum guarantees, not however a minimum you can live off!!!!!

Many tefl teachers in France juggle various positions in different companies, day time business classes, evening school support, cash in hand top up lessons. If you are lucky enough to get a place as a lecteur at a University you'll have few hours for a decent pay and universioty holidays. You can always have another job in the private part time too. If you want to earn money to pay off debts, or save for the future, then France isn't the place to come, but if however, you want to just scrape by, have nough for a nice small flat, and sit on cafe terraces watching the world go by, then it's not a bad place....................
Depending on your level of french, more doors will open for you.......
Check out vacataire "supply" teacher positions in the education natioanl: nicely paid although limited to 200hrs per annum. Again, it complements another part time job.

There are lots of efl teachers who team up with bar work, hotel jobs etc. It may not be the ideal career move but if yo just want to come for a year and enjoy yourself, its a good way to meet people too!!!
Enjoy the rugby!!!!
ps dont hesitate to pm me for more info Smile
sherrymole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a complete b*tch, but I don't think I'd want to learn English from someone who says, "[they] speak French much better then Spanish..."
craftynick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherrymole wrote:
Not to be a complete b*tch, but I don't think I'd want to learn English from someone who says, "[they] speak French much better then Spanish..."

actually i wrote that after a very long day in the bar so pardon me for making that little error - just shows i�m human after all.....
sherrymole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I guess I can forgive you.

It's just that I used to have a friendly acquaintance who would make the same mistake all the time (even when she was completely sober)...and she is a native English speaker and was taking graduate TESOL classes.
craftynick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherrymole wrote:
Oh, I guess I can forgive you.

It's just that I used to have a friendly acquaintance who would make the same mistake all the time (even when she was completely sober)...and she is a native English speaker and was taking graduate TESOL classes.

thank you for your forgiveness - in fact i had just watched France beat Ireland in the rugby in the last minute the day i wrote that so i had more reason than usual to be drunk/upset
sherrymole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. Didn't realize the French played rugby...
JRCash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherrymole wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Didn't realize the French played rugby...

Then maybe you should be looking more at culture than at people's spelling mistakes. Razz
sherrymole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just kidding. Very Happy

Sorry to hear about Ireland's loss, though.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny, go to any of the other places that seem to interest you.

You and June would be happier there.

Maybe Folsom would suit you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: