Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for an Aussie coming to Paris on a Working Holiday?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sophie_sydney

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Advice for an Aussie coming to Paris on a Working Holiday? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a 26 year old Australian girl. I did my teaching diploma last year and now teach Japanese, basic French and English in a high school (the fact that I got stuck teaching French and don't know it is what's made me want to go to France!). Before I did my teaching diploma I was teaching in Japan a few years, mostly adults in the beginning but i taught mostly children in the last year and realised I really love kids so I came home to do my diploma. This year I am doing my Masters of Education (Applied Linguistics) which I will finish before I come. I will apply for a Working Holiday Visa and plan to come to Paris in January. Okay, I think that's got all my details out of the way.

I'm just wondering if you have any general advice, anything I should know before I go. I really want to improve my minimal French so I was wondering if I should consider doing some babysitting or nanny work as well as teaching English. Also, do you think it would be possible to attend daily French classes and work enough hours to support myself? And how about finding a flat share with French people? Have many people done that and has your French improved? Um, I'm not sure what else to ask but I would just love any advice.
wildchild

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you disclose your age, sex or gender?
sophie_sydney

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, sorry. Is that bad? As you can see I've never posted on here and I just thought I'd include as much information as possible to make it easier for people to respond. I just wrote what came to the top of my head.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophie, since you're asking about flat sharing and work as a nanny, I think it's entirely all right that you mentioned your gender and age.

Further, I believe that 'sex' and 'gender' are the same - right?! Shocked

I don't know about Australia generally, but in Europe age, gender, and marital status commonly appear on CVs - though North Americans are sometimes shocked about this.

So, with that hopefully out of the way, maybe someone can offer you some more useful advice! I'm not personally savvy about details of life in France in particular, not having worked there myself. I can only speak to the generalities of qualifications and visas, both of which you certainly have.
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Working as an au-pair or nanny is a great way to make sure that you have work and a place to stay lined up in advance of your arrival. Of course it's a great way to work on your French. It also means that you don't have to worry about expenses such as food or rent. Also it leaves plenty of time for French classes and most employers will encourage you to take them.

However, and here's the kicker, the hours that you will be required to work as an au-pair will coincide rather unfortunately with those that most language schools would want you to work.

Outside of the language schools you will not have much luck with employment, it's not a great time of year to be looking.

Also, you didn't mention how long you wanted to stay. If you are thinking of just a few months then maybe the au-pair route is the best one for you.

PT
sophie_sydney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you spiral78 for that response. I am glad to know others realise why I thought it might be relevant to disclose such details.

And thanks Perpetual Traveller for your response. Your point about being an au pair leaving time for me to attend French classes is a good one so I should definitely consider it. It's just a pity that it would probably stop me from also teaching, as you point out. Maybe I could do a mixture? Some babysitting on set days and some teaching?

I didn't realise that January would be a particularly bad time to be looking. I do plan to stay a year and I guess I will just have to save as much money as I can before I go in case it takes awhile to make enough to support myself.

I guess for now I should just get my ticket and apply for the visa since I just found out that there is a quota for visas so it's first in, best dressed. If I leave it to closer to my time of departure I could be unlucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: