Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current job situation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plummy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Current job situation? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm an American finishing the first year of a Masters at a university in NRW. I'm sick of studying, but I'd really like to live in Berlin or nearby for a year while my boyfriend finishes his Masters. I want to try getting a job as an English trainer. My pay requirements are not high -- I think if I could make between 600 and 700 Euros a month after taxes & paying health insurance, I would be fine.

Is there anyone on the board right now who's working in Germany (or Berlin) and can give me some idea of what the market is like right now? Will I be able to find something that will get me this kind of money? Are there any big language schools that are good to apply to? Any to avoid?

I'd appreciate views from other folks on location. Thanks!

Jess
crashartist1

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in for a world of hurt after these people start posting and telling you that there is no way in the world.

All you need to do is this: Get a TEFL, show up and hope for the best. Because that is all anyone in Europe can do now-a-days in this profession.

crash
plummy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice, crash. I'm already here, and I'm hoping for the best. Additionally, I was hoping there might be some American teachers with helpful, current information who check the board occasionally and might respond to my inquiry, but it appears maybe there aren't?

I currently have a student visa that expires at the end of August. Anybody know anything about getting it extended/changed? Any posters out there who've just done R�ckmeldung at a university, extended the student visa and just worked? Sometimes seems like the simplest thing, but then I'd have to come up with 275 Euro for "tuition" at the beginning of the semester.

Anyone have tips on schools that are willing to hire Americans? Can anyone recommend a CELTA/TEFL program in Berlin?

I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again,
Jess
RichUK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did TrinityCertTESOL at LSI Berlin. It was good and I'd recommend it. Although there was talk of the course stopping because our teacher was leaving. So you'd need to check if they still do it. There were a couple of Americans when I did the course. I know one girl who found English teaching work at a Spanish language school in Berlin (can't remeber the name but there can't be too many)

I applied to everywhere in Berlin but couldn't wait too long unemployed, so i moved to a position near Hamburg. Although in the few months after leaving Berlin about 5 places called wtth vacancies.

As for work around Germany, the positions are out there if u search...as for a decent wage, you might have to search harder
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for a German school here in Berlin, not for me you know - I already speak effluent German, and I found this link.

http://www.celta-berlin.com/

No idea about the school, course or anything really. The site did say CELTA courses 2005 so it might need updating.
plummy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if everyone out there has the same concept of a decent wage as I do -- I just want enough to afford a studenty sort of lifestyle without too many worries.

Thanks for the tip, Rich & Hod. I'll check into both. Recently I spoke with the owner at Berlin School of English about their CELTA program. He didn't have too much to say about job prospects, but he made pretty clear the advantages of certification.

Anyway, I'm still having a hard time getting in contact with people who are actually working in EFL in Berlin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: