Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What help would an MA in TESOL be in Japan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tradang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: What help would an MA in TESOL be in Japan? Reply with quote

I've been teaching in Vietnam for 6 years and I'm ready for a change. I'm pretty sure it's going to be Japan.

I'm also considering going back to the States to do a MA in TESOL first.

How much would an MA in TESOL help me in Japan in terms of attaining better (i.e. benefits, working conditions, challenge), higher paid employment in Japan?
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite your experience abroad, I think you are still going to have to start in Japan with entry level work. Eikaiwa, dispatch ALT, or JET ALT. Eikaiwas offer only a little higher pay for such degrees (e.g., NOVA pays only 5000 yen/month more). ALT work usually doesn't offer more. I'd suggest getting in a year of experience here and then moving out as quickly as possible from entry level to something else.

private high school/junior high school
university or junior college
business English

They'll give you higher pay and copayments on shakai hoken (which means health insurance plus pension plan). The challenge is up to you. Private HS/JHS and university classes are usually 30-40 and 50-100 students in size, quite a difference from eikaiwa, and if you are planning lessons & making/correcting exams by yourself, that's something of a challenge. Plus, in HS/JHS, you will have many more responsibilities, and that could mean long days.
tradang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
I'd suggest getting in a year of experience here and then moving out as quickly as possible from entry level to something else.

private high school/junior high school
university or junior college
business English

In order to do any of those I'd need an MA, right?

I'm just wondering if spending two years and $$ on an MA is worth it...Also, I'm 39 Shocked
slodziak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MA or MEd in TESOL will help you find University work in Japan but it is not the guarantee of a high salary as it has been in the past.

If you get the MA/MEd and combine it with a practical qualification like a diploma/DELTA then you will find you become very employable back home in University departments. It will also set you apart from most of the TEFL crowd anywhere around the world which can be beneficial if an attractive job becomes available.

If your only intention is to come to Japan, save a bit of money and then move on, the benefits of an MA/MEd are limited. The conversation schools around the country ask for a maximum of a certificate/CELTA and many not even that. There are also plenty of teachers working at University level who don't have an MA/MEd.

If your intention is to stay in TEFL for the rest of your career and that career could involve returning home or teaching in Europe then of course the more qualifications you have the better.

I don't know anyone who regrets having a masters.

Hope this helps.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In order to do any of those I'd need an MA, right?
No. You don't need an MA (in anything) to get most private HS jobs or business English jobs.

You usually do need a minimum of an MA for a university job. Plus publications, some language fluency, and experience teaching in Japan.

slodziak asks a very valid question. How long do you propose to be in this business?
tradang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intention is to stay in TEFL for the rest of my career.
matador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 38 and currently investigating this as well: Have a look at : http://www.englishabroad.ca/masters_css.html

Hope this helps!
wintersweet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check http://jrecin.jst.go.jp/seek/SeekTop?ln=1 for an idea of the requirements for job applications at Japanese universities. Many require not just an MA, but publications (which you can get a jump on during grad school if you're ambitious Wink) and years of experience.

Disclaimer: I have not taught at any Japanese university. (I've just been reading JREC for a while now.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: